Steyr LP2 - adjusting the second stage trigger pull

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Funny Farmer

Steyr LP2 - adjusting the second stage trigger pull

Post by Funny Farmer »

Hi all,
I prefer a rather crisp first stage of around 320-350 gram which means that I need to reduce the second stage pull in order to reach a total trigger pull not too far beyond 500 gram. The problem with my LP2 is that I cannot turn the screw for the second trigger stage out any further. This leaves two choices - either use a first trigger stage that is too light in my opinion or increase the first trigger stage and end out with a total that is too high.

I would expect the Steyr to allow such an adjustment, so perhaps it is just an issue of my individual gun? How do you others adjust your 1st stage vs. the total pull?
scerir

Re: Steyr LP2 - adjusting the second stage trigger pull

Post by scerir »

Funny Farmer wrote: I would expect the Steyr to allow such an adjustment, so perhaps it is just an issue of my individual gun? How do you others adjust your 1st stage vs. the total pull?
Let us say: 370 (first stage) vs. 150 (second stage), or 350 vs. 170, or something like that. Sometimes there are problems with the spring of the second stage, so one cannot set the weight of the second stage at 150 gr. (Also try to unscrew the trigger-stop.)
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

You could try to reduce sear engagement, that might lower the second stage weight. Could lead to other issues, though, like kick-back.
Funny Farmer

Post by Funny Farmer »

Is it OK to tingle with the sear engagement? I do know about mechanics but I am no gunsmith, so basically all I can do is change it bit by bit and check what happens. Would it be OK to proceed like that? In the manual it says that it should not be altered, so I had trusted it to be OK.

@scerir Do you mean remove trigger stop? I would not expect that to make a difference but maybe I misunderstood. I see that you use a first stage at least as strong as I do which encourages me that it should be possible to adjust it on the Steyr this way.
scerir

Post by scerir »

Funny Farmer wrote: @scerir Do you mean remove trigger stop? I would not expect that to make a difference but maybe I misunderstood.
Yes, remove the trigger-stop, just to see if that makes a difference. (Sometimes the trigger-stop is set too "short".)
Funny Farmer wrote: I see that you use a first stage at least as strong as I do which encourages me that it should be possible to adjust it on the Steyr this way.
In the past there was a problem with the spring of the second stage.
Funny Farmer

Post by Funny Farmer »

Just to tell the final result, the trigger stop was not the problem in this case (but thanks for the hint), adjusting the sear slightly did the trick. Thanks, all!