Walther SSP should I or should I not

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
johny_r

Post by johny_r »

Hello,
I'd like to ask about your experience with training-grade ammo for SSP. I am thinking of Eley Club, Lapua SK Standard Plus or Lapua SK Pistol Match. Lapua SK Pistol Match Spezial is also available but it is a faster cartridge (345m/s). Is there a reason to use such stronger cartridge. Can it damage the gun or is it more accurate? I would appreciate any experience with these no-so-pricey ammo. I do not want to train with Eley Match or Tenex or so as it is rather expencive.

Thanks a lot.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

In use Sk Standard plus , lapua club, and Eley and haven,t had a problem with any of them. I did have some ejection problems very early on after cleaning there were no issue. The SSP requires regular cleaning, it's not like the old GSP which would run forever dirty. This wasntold to me bybthe guys innthe sports service department and my own observations confirm this.
johny_r

Post by johny_r »

Richard H: Thank you very much. Can you somehow compare these cartridges in terms of precision? Do you get better results with one or the other? Are e.g. Eley Club worth the price that is about double of SK Standard Plus? I am looking for the most homogeneous training cartrige (the lowest possible number of rounds that go too far away from the rest - like shooting a 7 while the rest goes to 9 and 10).

Thanks a lot.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I shoot the SK Standard Plus both in training and in matches. The ten is huge on standard pistol targets and the variation due to ammo is about the size of the inner ten ring. Not that it can't happen but but any 7 you shoot was never going to be a 10.

Yes I'm sure testing would reveal a round that was slightly better by mm's than another. Also the variance by lot within a brand is just as great as variation from brand to brand.
johny_r

Post by johny_r »

Thanks a lot. So I'll probably go for the Standard plus as they are really cheap.
I've already tried SK Magazine (those packed in a can rather than boxes) but these were not very good. The recoil was quite varying (although the precision was quite ok). When I shot them with Beretta 89 they often even did not reload. Hope the Standard plus will be better.
Thanks
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

I haven't tried it yet but I bought some Lapua OSP to see how that works. Scott
johny_r

Post by johny_r »

One more question. :-)
How often do you clean and what parts do you clean? After every session or after some number of shots? Do you clean the barrel often? What about the precision after barrel cleaning? And what about the recoil damping piston? Do you clean that often?
I shoot something like 80-100 rounds once a week. Do I have to clean every time or can I store the gun dirty and clean after some higher number of shots?

Thanks a lot.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I was told by Walther about every 500 rnds, been following that advice with no problems. Prior to that I let it go a few thousand andvdid run into some fail to eject failures.

I tear it down as per the instructions, clean and lube, takes about 15 minutes.