pardini sp22

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
p38

pardini sp22

Post by p38 »

Gents: I purchased a pardini sp22 two years ago and have thoroughly enjoyed getting into the SF/RF shooting. However, I have a problem with the gun, it will not EJECT a misfire nor live round. I believe the problem is in the magazine which is where the ejector is located. Otherwise, the gun has performed flawlessly.

Best Regards
David Levene

Re: pardini sp22

Post by David Levene »

p38 wrote:However, I have a problem with the gun, it will not EJECT a misfire nor live round. I believe the problem is in the magazine which is where the ejector is located.
Are you saying that it will extract a misfire or live round but not eject it. If so then that would normally just be a case of you not opening the slide fast enough.

If it isn't extracting then either the extractor isn't working or the round is catching on the magazine lips. Try extracting a live round without a magazine in place to see which it is.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Unless your magazine has been damaged, it's unlikely to be the "ejector", which is built in to the left lip of the magazine. If you have more than one magazine, does it happen with all of them, or just one?

My recollection is that the SP will never eject a live round cleanly. The nose of the bullet is too long to clear the ejection port. You need to drop the magazine, and then you have no ejector.

Make sure your chamber is really clean. Running a patch through the barrel won't do it. Drop a loaded round into the chamber & see if it will drop in all the way. If not, get a fresh brush & get the gunk out of the chamber. I actually like to use a .25 caliber rifle brush to make sure the chamber is clean.

It sounds more like an extractor problem to me. One test that works with many semi-auto .22's is to hold the slide horizontally, and see if the extractor is sharp enough & springy enough to hold a loaded .22 clipped to the face of the slide. If not, take the extractor assembly apart, check the parts for damage, clean it & oil it and try again.

Remember, the extractor doesn't pull the case out of the chamber. The case pushes the slide to the rear, and once mouth of the case clears, the momentum of the case and the slide carry them both the rest of the way. The spring behind the slide is slowing it down, so the case's momentum should actually hold it against the slide face. Some larger caliber semi-autos will work fine without an extractor (unless you need to remove a loaded round). However, most .22's require a tighter grip on the case to eject properly. The extractor has to hang onto the case long enough & firmly enough to make sure it bounces it off the ejector with enough force to kick it well clear of the pistol.

Also, check that the slot in the barrel for the extractor hasn't gotten clogged. That is unlikely, especially on an SP, where the slot is easy to keep clean.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Gwhite wrote:Remember, the extractor doesn't pull the case out of the chamber. The case pushes the slide to the rear, and once mouth of the case clears, the momentum of the case and the slide carry them both the rest of the way.
During normal firing that is correct but here we are talking about mis-fires and live rounds. In these cases the extractor DOES pull the case out of the chamber.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Ooops! I thought he was having problems with normal cycling, and with misfires.

As I said, the Pardini CAN'T normally eject a misfire or a loaded round. With a loaded cartridge, the rear of the case hits the ejector part of the magazine before the bullet is fully out of the chamber. I though it hung up on the ejection port, but I just checked. The bullet is still about half way in the chamber when the ejector hits the back of the case.

The only way to remove such a round is to drop the magazine, lock the slide to rear, and knock the round loose so it drops off the slide. It's a bit hokey, but under normal operation, it doesn't happen very often. I didn't experiment a lot, but on mine, the round popped loose when I pulled the slide ALL the way to the rear. I don't recall anything internal that might do that, so it may just have been the jar of the slide hitting bottom.
p38

Post by p38 »

Gwhite wrote:Ooops! I thought he was having problems with normal cycling, and with misfires.

As I said, the Pardini CAN'T normally eject a misfire or a loaded round. With a loaded cartridge, the rear of the case hits the ejector part of the magazine before the bullet is fully out of the chamber. I though it hung up on the ejection port, but I just checked. The bullet is still about half way in the chamber when the ejector hits the back of the case.

The only way to remove such a round is to drop the magazine, lock the slide to rear, and knock the round loose so it drops off the slide. It's a bit hokey, but under normal operation, it doesn't happen very often. I didn't experiment a lot, but on mine, the round popped loose when I pulled the slide ALL the way to the rear. I don't recall anything internal that might do that, so it may just have been the jar of the slide hitting bottom.
p38

Post by p38 »

Can't determine if last night's comment went out... I've had time to carefully read y'alls input.
1. I & a collegue have vigorously pulled back the slide several times, even w/o the magazine and NOGO ejecting the live round.
2. I experienced my first misfire three days ago and ended up firing the round to clear the gun.
3. Gwhite states that the SP will never eject a live round cleanly; could this be a design flaw? How do other makes of SPs function in this situation? Does my SP perform the same with all ammo?
4. Today I will closely observe the position of a live round in relation to its clearance of the chamber during the ejection cycle.

Best Regards
william

Post by william »

Can't determine if last night's comment went out... I've had time to carefully read y'alls input.
1. I & a collegue have vigorously pulled back the slide several times, even w/o the magazine and NOGO ejecting the live round.
2. I experienced my first misfire three days ago and ended up firing the round to clear the gun.
3. Gwhite states that the SP will never eject a live round cleanly; could this be a design flaw? How do other makes of SPs function in this situation? Does my SP perform the same with all ammo?
4. Today I will closely observe the position of a live round in relation to its clearance of the chamber during the ejection cycle.
First off: a yawl is a type of sailboat, if you ketch my meaning.
1. A Pardini extractor will hold the cartridge in perfect alignment with the chamber. With no mag = no ejector you can rack the same cartridge in and out of the chamber dozens of times.
2. How you did manage to fire the misfired round?
3. The SP absolutely will not eject a live round if there are other live rounds below it in the mag. Unless there are pistols out there that eject upwards I'm not sure any .22 pistol will. The top round in the mag will push the extracted round upward where the returning bolt will jam it very nicely. Simple geometry, really.
If you need to clear a live round the first step is to drop the mag; then pull back the bolt, lock it back and knock the round out of the extractor. It will drop very neatly out through the mag well.
4. Why?

If you leave the mag in place with live rounds in it while you perform any of these activities you are an accident waiting to happen
tenex

Post by tenex »

It took me 8 years to find out that the Pardini won't eject a live round, mine is that reliable. I would keep a popsicle stick in my box so I can remove the magazine, lock it back, and push it out the bottom.

Took me quite a while to figure out why the bolt wouldn't come all the way back!

Steve.
Bemoni

Post by Bemoni »

I was observing the same kind of problem with one of the Pardini´s in the club ( SP New ) and i solved the problem by modifying the ejectorrod a bit.
With a diamond file, i trimmed the rod 2,3 millimeters back and it solved the issue, without interferrence on the general function.

I will take a picture of magazine that was modified, compared to a standard and post it here, as soon as possible.

The same matter was present on my Walther SSP, but the same treatment was applied, with a good result.
p38

Post by p38 »

I went to the local range today to experiment with a few clearing procedures. This is what I found:

After charging the gun, I attempted to eject the live round. With the magazine in place, the round did not fully clear the chamber. The magazine prevented the action from fully going to the rear. With the magazine removed, the round easily cleared the chamber; however, since the ejector is part of the magazine, the round was firmly held by the extractor. As an earlier posting suggested, I locked the action open and manipulated the extractor which dropped the live round through the magazine well.

I've concluded that I expected the Pardini to function similarly to military firearms when applying immediate action. I guess it's not a big concern in this style of shooting, so that's ok with me.

Thanks to all for your input. I enjoyed the exchange of ideas.

Best Regards.

PS. The suggestion of shortening the ejector rod is insteresting.
j-team

Post by j-team »

To eject a live round from a Pardini:

Remove the mag and pull the slide all the way back. The firing pin does the job of ejector. As the slide bottoms out in the back of it's housing the tip of the firing pin is pushed forward just enough to rotate the round out of the grip of the extractor.

It's worked on all 3 I've owned

Oh, and before you all panic, you would have to slam it back impossibly hard to actually make the round discharge.
tenex

Post by tenex »

tenex wrote:It took me 8 years to find out that the Pardini won't eject a live round, mine is that reliable. I would keep a popsicle stick in my box so I can remove the magazine, lock it back, and push it out the bottom.

Took me quite a while to figure out why the bolt wouldn't come all the way back!

Steve.
So of course I had a dud last week in slow fire and couldn't get the round out! I didn't have a Popsicle stick, but I eventually remembered to try pulling on the extractor, and the round fell neatly through the mag well.

Steve.