Benelli MP95 Buffer Replacement

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
pgfaini

Benelli MP95 Buffer Replacement

Post by pgfaini »

Folks, I've got to replace the buffer in my MP95. I've got a replacement I've purchased from EAA back when I first bought the gun(new), but have forgotten how it's attached to the recoil plate. Is it cemented? If so, what kind?

I'm not happy with the way it's begun to crumble. I can see it flattening, but it shouldn't be crumbling, dropping particles into the pistol mechanism. Has anyone found a more suitable material?

Thanks, Paul
madmax

Benelli Buffer

Post by madmax »

Hi, I recently replaced the buffer in my MP90s (same thing). Over here (Australia) the buffer is $35!! After talking around with other users, I pruchased some fairly dense 4mm flat rubber from the local rubber supplier. It has to be slightly deeper than the recess in the buffer wedge, otherwise the bolt will impact on solid steel. Using a wad punch I made a round buffer slightly larger than the smallest dimension in the buffer wedge ( which is oval). Just put the rubber into the buffer recess and put the slide back in. The new buffer is held in by the bolt spring assembly (no need to glue in). I initially checked every 200 rounds or so to check for wear, but as it was holding up I now check every 500 rounds. So far, 2500 rouds later there is virtually no wear and the buffer rubber hasn't compressed. For about $2 I have made 10 buffers - 20c compared to $35!! Hope this helps.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Thanks, Max.
I just removed what was left of the original buffer, and found recesses in the upper and lower edges of the cavity in the plate where the "ears" on the back edge of the factory replacement buffer would fit. This answers the question regarding attachment.

Would you know the Durometer number(hardness), of the rubber you used? Was it neoprene? I wouldn't be surprised if a good grade of harness leather would also work.

Paul
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The MIT team uses Benelli's, and we've recently replaced a couple buffers. I guess Larry's guns decided the factory version was a bit pricey, so they are having buffers made for them out of a white plastic. It feels like polyethylene, and they sell in quantities of 5 for $25.

The plastic is hard enough that it's difficult to snap the lower tab into place without deforming it. I don't know if the factory buffers are a little more resilient in this regard. Warming them up before installing them might help.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Thanks, I've got sheets of 3/4" polyethylene (commercial cutting boards) in my shop. I can turn a suitable diameter round bar, slice it into 3/16" thick discs, and mill two sides like a slab sided bbl., leaving about .020" for the "ears".
Paul
madmax

Benelli Buffer

Post by madmax »

Hi Paul

Don't know the rubber specs. Some of the other guys have used the type of neoprene used in wetsuits with good results.

The main things to look for are compression of the substance so that the bolt doesn't slam into the steel wedge. No harm to the pistol, but your shots go over the top! Check regularly until you are satisfied that it is holding up.
Not sure about your "wings". My original buffer fitted neatly into the oval slot. My round buffer fits firmly into the smaller dimension of the oval.
As for your prices (by another contributor) I mentioned the buffers were $35 EACH over here. One of our shooters bought some from an on-line seller in the US last year for $25 for 5 - genuine Benelli parts.
Hope this helps.
Max
madmax

Benelli Buffer 2

Post by madmax »

Hi Paul

Forgot the second thing.

If you make the buffer too thick, the hammer won't catch, and you may wind up with a machine gun!!!
Shots go over the top again.
Experiment until you get it right.

I've checked my rubber - it's 4.5mm thick - just right.

Max
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Thanks Max, I miked the factory replacement buffer, which, aside from the "ears", is a basically square with radius-ed corners, looks sort of like an old TV screen. It measures .555" across the flats both ways, and .600" diagonally. The thickness is .186". I'll probably make up a few with some A90 Butyl, and also a few out of polyethylene.

Paul