Rest during a match and in training

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Dev

Post by Dev »

I was just wondering what to do to rest my eyes, mind and hand during a match. For instance when I finish 20 I know the next ten shots will have the side effects of fatique. So I try to rest after twenty. The forty (ten pellets being shot on the fourth target) detail is normally good. Then again I have to be alert for quivering hands or over tightening my grip and causing a jerked trigger action. I am amazed to see that at times I am holding a partial sight picture. Shaving say a part of the rear sight.

How do you gents rest and what are you doing to reverse fatique mental and physical?

Warm Regards,

Dev
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

I sit down (chair just behind the line) anytime I want a break. I certainly don't go 20 (for record) shots before my first rest either because I know that Seriously degrades the rest of my shots. I normally make it through my sighters and about 11 for record shots before a break, then I can get off anywhere between 8 and 15 shots before my next break. Heck, I've been known to stop with 1 and 2 record shots left for a break.

When sitting down, I let my eyes wander (usually to something far away), my mind wander, drink sips of water and just relax. My brakes are usually in the 10~15 minute range (I don't dilly-dally on the line, never have, and usually finish with 20~30 minutes remaining). Maybe that's why I'm only a 9.2 average shooter (552 mens, 368 womens).
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I try and schedule (or fit in) breaks before performance deteriorates. I typically break after 20 - 25 shots, but it varies from day to day. What I do do though is take breaks in training at the same sort of time frames. As to how long, mine are typically less than 5 mins, but again it varies.

Don't forget in training you should be training and trying hard, in competitions you should be shooting less hard and trusting what you've trained. That's easier said than done I know, but that's the ideal.

Rob.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

I find my blood oxygen drops quite quickly, first noticeable in blurry vision, so I try to breath and move my arms and legs to pump more around.

Also some light exercise an hour or two before shooting helps clear the CO from the system.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

JamesH:

Not to be too fussy, but I think you mean that it is CO2 that you are clearing from your system. CO is carbon monoxide, which clears only slowly and may indicate that you need to fix the muffler on your car.

Actually, CO2 exchanges readily with oxygen in the lungs. Normal breathing exchanges the lung's tidal volume. A forced exhale also exchanges the reserve air, and that will transiently increase the amount of oxygen available in the blood and may slow the heart rate slightly. In "Nygord's Notes", Don Nygord recommended a deep, forced exhale before each shot. I think the positive physiological change that light exercise renders is increased perfusion in the capillary bed which encourages blood flow to the brain and extremities.
topclass52

rest regime

Post by topclass52 »

light exercise also has the effect of releasing endorphins which will elevate mood and provide a feeling of well-being, not a bad thing to have when shooting.
topclass52

rest regime

Post by topclass52 »

light exercise also has the effect of releasing endorphins which will elevate mood and provide a feeling of well-being, not a bad thing to have when shooting.
lastman

Post by lastman »

Hi Dev,

Like everything else in shooting this is a very personal thing and I believe it all boils down to experience.

The one piece of advice I would give in this area that I think could apply to everyone is to make sure that you have planned rest breaks.

You may use either a number of shots or a timeframe. When your training find out how many shots or how long your optimal period lasts for. It may be 12 shots or 10 mins (whatever). Then you plan your rest periods to fit in at the end of the optimal period. So that you don't drop off.

Then you need to work out how long it takes you to recover. It may be another 5-10 mins, whatever it is make sure you rest for at least that long and don't just pick up your pistol and start shooting again, you need to re-engage your mind, things like a couple of ry fire shot work well.

You can plan your match around that. Also factor in contingencies if something goes wrong and you need to take another break. This is where real experience pays off. A great shooter will know when they need a rest.

One thing I would add is to always take your rest after a shot. It sounds fickle but what I mean is that when you commit to shooting a shot you must shoot it. Once your shot process has been completed you can take a break.

As far as what to do during a break is concerned, there are so many different things you can do. Some people like to take their mind off the match completely, it's not uncommon to see people reading a book or something similar. Me personally I can't switch on and off like that so I like to think about what I am doing well and aspects of my shot process I would like to improve. Again real experience pays off so well in these respects.

When I train I try to use similar periods to what I would in a match. I always try to go a little bit over my optimal period, if you keep trying to push it out a little in training your endurance will improve. Remember that your plan will need to change according to the day, you may not be feeling well and need to make changes to your plan, just pay attention to your body.

One final thing is to make sure that your arousal is back up to your optimal level before you finish your rest period.

Good luck
Dev

Post by Dev »

Thanks to all of you for replying on a very engaging topic. I feel that the need to feel good before a match is a great idea. I never thought about light exercise before one, would skipping count?
Lastman's point about reaching the same state of arousal reminds me about how I felt during the trails. I was very charged and so scored better.

Regards,

Dev
RobStubbs

Re: Rest during a match and in training

Post by RobStubbs »

Dev wrote:Thanks to all of you for replying on a very engaging topic. I feel that the need to feel good before a match is a great idea. I never thought about light exercise before one, would skipping count?
Lastman's point about reaching the same state of arousal reminds me about how I felt during the trails. I was very charged and so scored better.

Regards,

Dev
As discussed above it's a very personal thing. A walk in fresh air say 30mins before a match, followed by your stretches, isn't a bad plan.

Arousal needs to be just the right amount for you, some folks need to feel relaxed, others slightly 'excited' to perform at their optimum. But you need to work out what works for you and try and shot under those conditions.

Rob.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

RandomShotz wrote:JamesH:

Not to be too fussy, but I think you mean that it is CO2 that you are clearing from your system. CO is carbon monoxide, which clears only slowly and may indicate that you need to fix the muffler on your car.
Could be, I was under the impression that some CO builds up in the blood while sleeping whatever the conditions. This takes time and effort to drive out so the blood can then carry the maximum amount of O2/CO2.
I can't find any ready references, or remember where I picked it up from.

CO2 is relatively easy to drive out, regular breathing and you're fine.

I think I notice it more because I have high blood pressure/poor blood flow, and notice any rise in CO2 in the blood quite quickly as visual deterioration.