Hearing protection

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
bebloomster

Hearing protection

Post by bebloomster »

I've noted that hearing protection is more often than not mandated at any airgun event. Most airguns are so quiet I would wonder why? Not saying that it's a bad idea, just wondering about the necessity.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

They cut down external noise so can be used to aid concentration.

Even airgun ranges can be noisy places.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I've not shot anywhere where ear protection for airgun is mandated, but as David mentions it is used to aid concentration. When I coach people I always advise it, especially for youngsters, airguns can still be pretty load when you get a lot of them in one place.

Rob.
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

I always wear for air, although it's not mandated at the club.
Partly because I'm in the habit of it from .22 and fullbore and it aids concentration, and partly because hearing damage is cumulative, so with the amount of shooting I do, I just stuff on defenders for more or less anything that involves louder-than-usual noises (above normal speaking/shouting volume).
A little paranoid perhaps but I'm 23, and I intend to have decent hearing in my old age, after several decades of shooting and life in general!
tenex

Post by tenex »

My K2 is uncomfortably loud. It seems to always be the loudest air pistol on the line.

I have a pair of the "mold your own" ear plugs I made a few years ago. Although they're really poor ear plugs, they're comfortable and take off enough of the edge to be useful for AP.

Steve.