Shooting Glasses

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

redwine

Shooting Glasses

Post by redwine »

When wearing shooting glasses, I understand the foresight should be in focus, I cannot get to see any clear white around the black with the foresight in focus, I have tried different size foresights. Does anybody know if you can see clearly at 100yds, what is the minimum distance you can still see clearly
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Personally I can get the foresight in focus when shooting at 100 yards. My focus doesn't change whether I'm shooting at 20 yards, 25 yards, 50m, or 100 yards. It's always just on the foresight. Because of this the distance to the target doesn't matter. The closest I've shot is 6 yards (air rifle), and yes the foresight was in focus.

I'm slightly long sighted so I use a prescription lens to bring my focus back onto the foresight; otherwise it tends to drift onto the target, and I have to consciously refocus. One less thing to think about is good.

I've never heard of foresight size affecting your focus. The foresight ring is there to provide an easy way of aligning the sights with the target. Exactly what size foresight are you using? If you can'ty see any white between the foresight ring and target, the foresight ring is probably much too small. If you're shooting prone, anything under 3.4mm is too small. 3.8-4.1mm is a much better size.

Tim S
Taunton UK
justadude

Post by justadude »

redwine,

What is the distance between your eye and the front sight?

If that is not easy to come by, what kind of rifle and are you using a bloop tube?

'Dude
redwine

Post by redwine »

Thanks Tim
I do not think I am making myself very clear, the image I see with the foresight sharp is a very grey blob that appears to melt to the edge of the foresight, at the moment I have 6" extension tube with an adjustable foresight set at 5.1, I had a new prescription lens made at Bisley last year.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Ah, I see now. At 5.1 foresight size shouldn't be a problem. I'm on 4.8 at the moment, also with a 6in tube, and have plenty of white around the target.

The problem lies with your lens and eyes I think. The target will always be a little out of focus, but not as you describe it. I'd think of calling your optician (Stewarts if done at Bisley) for their advice. Would an eagle eye help?
justadude

Post by justadude »

Yes, 5.1 should be plenty large enough. Large enough in fact so that it will be hanging off both sides of the target frame. (standard 14" wide NRA target) In fact, you should be fine down as low as 4.2 or so.

What you describe does sound extreme but the bull will always appear just a little fuzzy and not quite as dark as the front sight ring. If it is just a ill defined blob then something needs some work.

What has not been mentioned here: what kind and size of rear aperature? If you have an adjustable iris for lighting outdoors somewhere between 1.2 to 1.4 gives best results for most people. Get down in position and play with the iris until you get the sharpest image. As you close down you should find a point where everything is about the sharpest then as you continue to close down things become dark and start to lose definition.

If you have only a fixed aperature, use 1.2mm if available.

'Dude