How to shave a wood stock?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Hon

Post by Hon »

I have a FWB 700 UNI AR. I need to reduce the barrel centreline to understock distance by shaving off about half an inch of wood. It is the area where you put onto your supporting fist. How would you do it? If I use a plane, the grip blocks the path of the planing action. Can I remove that much of wood anyway? Is it hollow inside?

Reading Ways of the Rifles published by MEC, they mentioned several French Top shooters shot custom made stock. Do you know if it is possible to make woodstock DIY? Thanks.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

You may be best off taking the stock off the gun, you'll then be able to see how much spare wood you have to play with. I'd probably chisel / saw bits off and then sand it down. But my wood working skills leave a lot to be desired !

Rob.
ciscovt

Post by ciscovt »

Ideally this should be done on a milling machine so that you can do a uniform job in a controlled manner. 1/2" is a fair amount. If you have a local gunsmith or machinist talk to them about milling it off. Taking the action out of the stock is an excellent suggestion as you really want to see how much wood you have to work with before you start. If you have an accessory rail then you will want to inlet that back into the stock before you finish.

Scott
.22-5-40

Post by .22-5-40 »

Hello, Hon. I was going to suggest a spokeshave..this has adjustable blade like a plane, with two handles parallel to cutting edge. But then I saw post by ciscovt, & milling machine would be alot more accurate.
mobarron

Post by mobarron »

Have you tried a different hand/fist position. There's no way to put the wood back on once it comes off so I'd try every thing else first. Whatever method you use to remove most of the wood you should get a wood rasp when you get within a 1/4" of where you want to be. They come in different grades - from very coarse to fine - and they are a lot quicker than sandpaper. Mike
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

When I attacked my smallbore stock, I used a router to remove the bulk of the wood and then a wood file to round off edges.
Finally, sand it down and refinish (which I haven't done yet).

There are also clips on YouTube on how to file a stock.

Think very hard before you do it - resale value will be severely reduced if you mess it up.