Corrective Vision

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

odie

Corrective Vision

Post by odie »

I'm returning to competitive shooting after many years and pursuing outdoor smallbore prone as a new shooter, so I need some advice. I earned the distinguished rifleman badge with the M14 service rifle and also shot smallbore indoor using knoblocks. I'm nearsighted with astigmatism. I would like to know if anyone is using contacts or have tried contacts and it didn't work. Thanks Much !
SIE107

Post by SIE107 »

Have you talked to an eye doc yet about it? There is a cat that goes by the screen name of ShootingSight I believe, on the highpower forums that you may want to talk to as well.
candace

Post by candace »

I wear contacts when I shoot. There's no way I could go without them. I haven't had any problems, but I'd check with your eye doctor, first. My astigmatism is very slight, so I'm not sure if I would have the same solution you need.
Last edited by candace on Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

I discussed this with my optometrist and she tells me that while contacts would be OK for ISSF Pistol where the head can (shouls) be erect, contacts with cylindrical corrction (i.e. astigmatism) will not align properly if the head is tilted sideways.
The astigmatism correcting version is weighted such that the lens aligns by gravity: tilting the head as is common in rifle will misalign the lens.
timinder

Post by timinder »

You really ought not to be tilting your head in rifle either!
Gnr527

Post by Gnr527 »

I have a similar problem - the following might be of some help:-

viewtopic.php?t=28345

for what its worth (several weeks down the line) I like the contacts and intend to persevere with them.

John