Which air pistol ?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Antoniscott

Which air pistol ?

Post by Antoniscott »

The choice is a tough one since you can't try them all, side by side, one right after the other. Steyr, Morini, FWB ? Standard length, compact ?

Not being a great pistol shooter, over the years I have owned a Daisy 717, FWB Mod. 65, Pardini and an FWB P34. I had an opportunity to shoot a Steyr LP50, Hamerli , as well as a Bakail with the one foot barrel, and now the Steyr Lp2 - compact.

Bottom line. The LP-2 Compact tops them all. The balance and "feel" is the best, the the LP50 a close second. It was a toss-up between an LP10 and an LP2, but I didn't know whether I wanted the long or short barrel. I didn't wan't a rapid fire air pistol but I had an opportunity to try one for a few months. I didn't care for the trigger on the LP50 ( it had some noticeable creep in it) but I was told that creep was necessary for the magazine to operate properly. The trigger on the LP2 is excellent, as good as the FWB P34.

The short barrel on the LP2 actually turned out to be an advantage since my apparent lack of follow through created random flyers. I refused to believe that the short barrel'd version was as accurate as the standard long barrel, but the test card was the tightest group of all air pistols I have seen so far. The one I have is a true "one hole" group ( maybe it's just one shot !!!!) and frankly I do better with this pistol than any i have shot so far.

The FWB P34 had too many flyers although my bench testing gave me slightly larger than 1/2 pellet group sizes. The Pardini was an excellent pistol when it worked. Velocity variation was horrendous to the point that some pellets would drop into the six ring !!! with a noticeable audible time difference from discharge to hit. An Excell spreadsheet of chronograph data generated was necessary to convince the late Don Nygord that there was a problem.

I did see a Steyr LP10 being serviced ( on Youtube) and two screws removed the barrel in about 20 seconds. I thought that if anyone was disappointed in either their short or long barrel pistol that they could be switched. Everything else ( except the short/long cylinder) looked the same.

My choice is the Compact (LP2, LP10, etc) for anyone that has doubts about what they want to start out with.

Antoni
robertmiller

Post by robertmiller »

thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts..

vita mix recipes
bebloomster

Post by bebloomster »

My original purpose in buying an air pistol was to be able to get in some quality slow fire practice here at home rather than having to drive out to the range 4 or more days a week. I started with an Izzy 46M as it pretty much fit my budget at the time. Didn't take long to graduate to a Steyr LP-10 though. Didn't know it at the time I bought the Steyr but there is even an aftermarket 1911 grip frame available for it. Will have to admit, does feel just like my usual 1911 except for a much better trigger. I'm starting to think in the direction of an LP-50 now, maybe if one comes along that I can afford.