Weighting wather LG300 XT Junior

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

TEN DOT

Weighting wather LG300 XT Junior

Post by TEN DOT »

I have been shooting a LG300 XT Junior for the past 5 years and have now somewhat outgrown it, but because I don't have the money to buy a new rifle I was just going to add weight to the Walther. It weighs around 7.275lbs. I want it to be around 9.5 to 10lbs. Is this even possible to get it to weigh that much and if not how heavy could I get it? And how would I do this without destroying the stock or unbalencing it?
Brandon
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

My wife went over to a Walther LG300 Junior in February this year not because she wanted a light rifle but because she is small and wanted a compact rifle. She tried it as it came and found it too light and muzzle biased so we set about adding weight.
As you are aware the key is to maintain a sensible ballance, she wanted it quite butt biased with the centre of gravity around 80mm (3 ins) in front of the trigger. This was the biggest problem but due to her not using the length adjustment system as it was all the way back, I took that system out, screwed the butt plate plastic block direct to the stock and that gave me a big space to add lead. Under the cylinder inside the stock are two cut outs for placing weight. I only used the rear most one, both weights were home made to fit the spaces. Doing this gave her a rifle beatifully ballanced and weighing 4.3 kilo (about 9.5 lbs). I could have got it more but she liked it as it was.
If you use the length system as you probably do, with it on the longer settings there is space behind to place weight in the butt to stop the weight gains being too muzzle heavy. With the cheek piece raised there is space to use car wheel ballance flat lead weights in the gap stuck to the flat surfaces, under the cylinder is space for two sizable weights. If you require more muzzle weight you can change to the normal LG300 muzzle weight and sight mount which is at least twice the weight of the junior or you can do what many others do and stick wheel weights in strips around the barrel tube. All can be done neatly with out alterations to the stock and I'm sure it could be taken up to over 10 lb quite easily without altering the stock and you would be able to set up the ballance point to your preference.
Good shooting
Robin
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

If you look in the Walther 2009/2010 catalogue you can see some pictures of how one of the top Russian Ladies has weighted hers. You can down load the catalogue from the Walther web site ( google Carl Walther Sportwaffen) if you don't have one.
Good Shooting
TEN DOT

Post by TEN DOT »

I did it. I added about 2lbs to my rifle. I did it by filling the holes under the cylinder as well as the hole in the stock with lead shot from a shot shell mixed with 5 minute epoxy. All we did was put seran wrap in the hole we wanted to fill mixed the lead shot with epoxy and poured. It worked out great.
yana

Post by yana »

Iirc, the junior uses the alu cilinder. You can buy a steel 1, adds about 350 grams iirc. Doesnt the junior have the round hole in the stock's back to add weight? You can also use rail and barrel weights.
henry1

Post by henry1 »

RobinC wrote:My wife went over to a Walther LG300 Junior in February this year not because she wanted a light rifle but because she is small and wanted a compact rifle. She tried it as it came and found it too light and muzzle biased so we set about adding weight.
As you are aware the key is to maintain a sensible ballance, she wanted it quite butt biased with the centre of gravity around 80mm (3 ins) in front of the trigger. This was the biggest problem but due to her not using the length adjustment system as it was all the way back, I took that system out, screwed the butt plate plastic block direct to the stock and that gave me a big space to add lead. Under the cylinder inside the stock are two cut outs for placing weight. I only used the rear most one, both weights were home made to fit the spaces. Doing this gave her a rifle beatifully ballanced and weighing 4.3 kilo (about 9.5 lbs). I could have got it more but she liked it as it was.
If you use the length system as you probably do, with it on the longer settings there is space behind to place weight in the butt to stop the weight gains being too muzzle heavy. With the cheek piece raised there is space to use car wheel ballance flat lead weights in the gap stuck to the flat surfaces, under the cylinder is space for two sizable weights. If you require more muzzle weight you can change to the normal LG300 muzzle weight and sight mount which is at least twice the weight of the junior or you can do what many others do and stick wheel weights in strips around the barrel tube. All can be done neatly with out alterations to the stock and I'm sure it could be taken up to over 10 lb quite easily without altering the stock and you would be able to set up the ballance point to your preference.
Good shooting
Robin
my wife did the same thing as you did to help her balance the rifle for her