Size

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
schatzperson

Size

Post by schatzperson »

I have had my FAS 32 for almost 8 months now and to tell the truth I am a little surprised because given the fair amount of negative impressions of some owners, this thing actually works well indeed.
Thus far, I have had absolutely no feeding problems at all using Fiocchi 100gr lWC.
I want to start re-loading now so I have just attempted to slug-size the barrel.
The problem is that I am having difficulty accurately matching opposite ends of the impressed lands on the slug, with the micrometer legs.

Tips anyone ?

I have 3 sizes of H&N bullets to choose from, 312, 313 and 314; In 90 or 100 gr
H&N also have an excellent plated and coated 314.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

You probably need to do it in a v-block, if it the barrel has an odd number of lands.

Take a rod of known diameter, measure across the v-block and rod, repeat with slug, use trigonometry to calculate the dia of your slug.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

You will possibly find that your barrel slugs at .308

Don't be concerned, it was meant to be that way.

Normal soft lead .312 or .313 H&N/Lapua 98g HBWC will work perfectly with the right load.

My old favourite powder (Norma R1) is no longer available so I would suggest 1.4 - 1.5 grains N310 and a medium roll crimp as a starting point.
Tony C.

Post by Tony C. »

I also own a FAS 603, .32 wadcutter pistol, had it for more than a year, my barrel slug .309", I've been experimenting with different size of bullets in either 90 and 98gr and from .311'-.314' dia.

From what little experiences I've had with this pistol, it seems the size of bullet have negligible effect on accuracy, the powder charge is far more important to produce accurate ammo, for 98gr bullet, my 603 shot best with 1.4 gr of N310, with 90gr Horandy bullets 1.8 gr of W231 comes out on top, loads are tested with a home made machine rest, and I can't tell the difference between .314" or .311", haven't try plated bullet so I can't say.

Your pistol may behave different, other loads to consider for 98-100gr bullets; 1.6 gr Bullseye, 1.5 gr WST or 1.6 gr Trailboss, these are starting loads.
schatzperson

Size

Post by schatzperson »

Thank you all for your assistance.

I might try harder to measure the imprinted slug, but in any case I will just try out the different bullets. Best powder available seems to be N310 and that's what I am going for.

Best !