LP10 vs. LP10E vs. LP2

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jtg

LP10 vs. LP10E vs. LP2

Post by jtg »

I am seriously considering upgrading from my IZY46M to a Steyr. Trouble is I can't seem to choose from the LP10, LP10E or LP2. I'm not an elite shooter but really would like to make the next step in equipment. Cost of course is always a factor but performance for the long range is important as well. I've made a few searches on the site but didn't get anything that gave a direct comparison, so I would like to hear the opinions of those that would offer.
Thanks in advance.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

The difference between all 3 as minimal to non-existent when it comes to the scores they are capable of shooting (meaning that all 3 can shoot a 600 if you can). It comes down to personal preference, the LP2 is a slightly lower price-point gun so it's missing a few things that the LP10/E has, like:

- no recoil absorber on LP2
- less rear sights adjustments on LP2
- less trigger adjustments on LP2
- other manner to mount additional weigths

As near as I can tell, the LP10 vs 10E are the trigger and compensator.

If money isn't an issue, the LP10E is the newest so it'll likely have the longest support life (just buy one cylinder to save ~ $200, it's all you travel with while flying anyway). If you're limited in funds, then buy whatever is available on the used market (mostly LP10's).

FWIW, I went from an IZH46m to an LP10 (without the ball-bearing trigger) in 2008. I honestly can't find fault with it. I've since tried an Morini with electronic trigger, while it was Different I didn't think it was better. The Izzy can still shoot better than me, but I adore the adjustability of the grip ~ and THAT was why I bought a Styer to begin with.

Good luck with the choice.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I would have said the LP10E, but I know a few people that have had trouble with the compensator in them. If you're not bothered about having an electronic trigger, then my vote would be the LP10.

I would forget the support issue. Steyr support is very good and the LP10 will not be replaced by the 'E' it's just an addition to the stable.

Rob.
jipe

Post by jipe »

Unless you really prefer an electronic trigger, go for the LP10 it is one of the top pistol and the price difference with the LP2 is usually too small to justify to buy the LP2 (be careful when comparing prices, most of the time the LP2 is sold with only one cylinder while the LP10 is almost always delivered with two cylinders).
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

RobStubbs wrote:I would have said the LP10E, but I know a few people that have had trouble with the compensator in them.
I think you're talking about the absorber Rob. We might be thinking about the same people but I also know some who have had trouble with it on the LP10E. It seems to be much more of a common problem on the LP10E than on the LP10 for some reason.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

David Levene wrote:
RobStubbs wrote:I would have said the LP10E, but I know a few people that have had trouble with the compensator in them.
I think you're talking about the absorber Rob. We might be thinking about the same people but I also know some who have had trouble with it on the LP10E. It seems to be much more of a common problem on the LP10E than on the LP10 for some reason.
You're right David I did mean the absorber. And I've not heard of anyone having the problem with the LP10 but I don't know if they both have the same construction.

Rob
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

What problem are they having with the absorber? The only thing I've seen is the screw stripping that holds the cocking lever on.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Richard H wrote:What problem are they having with the absorber?
Inconsistency.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Just wondering have these problems been acknowledged by Steyr or their agents? Have they done anything to address the issue?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I don't know the details I'm afraid Richard but, apart from one shooter who sold his LP10E after it was "fixed" three times, I believe the others are still using their guns. This would indicate that the problem has been solved.

I don't want this to sound like there are hundreds of guns with the problem. I know of 3-4, but that's 3-4 more than I heard of on the LP10.
TB

Post by TB »

What is the defference between the LP10 and LP10E absorber? I thought the only differences between the two was the trigger and the compensator.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

TB wrote:What is the defference between the LP10 and LP10E absorber? I thought the only differences between the two was the trigger and the compensator.
So did I. That's why the absorber problems were a surprise.
jipe

Post by jipe »

TB wrote:What is the defference between the LP10 and LP10E absorber? I thought the only differences between the two was the trigger and the compensator.
Not so obvious, the LP10E has also a new frame, different than the LP10 frame.
sparky

Post by sparky »

As long as you're considering the LP2, why not also look at an LP1P?
LeLongCarabine

Post by LeLongCarabine »

i purchased the LP2 compact because of all the hype about styer pistols my hamm 480K is getting a bit long in the tooth so the styer is my back up if things go wrong, i put a few shots through it to try it out and i'm sorry to say i am not too impressed by it
the trigger blade is not nice to use on mine (im not saying that they are all bad ) the sight picture was good because of the wide fore sight, also the weight was easy for me after the 480k weight you could stand all day with it and not get any fatigue
but as soon as i picked the 480k up again it was a dream i may even swap the styer for a morini thats how much of an impression it made on me
but this is only my opinion
Will
gatorpan

Love my LP10E / Grips

Post by gatorpan »

I certainly like my LP10E but you might note that the AFAIK the grips only come from Steyr because of the battery chamber. So if you like other makers’ grips, then the LP10 might be better.

I would love to know what the problem is with the recoil absorber. I have no complaints.
TB

Re: Love my LP10E / Grips

Post by TB »

gatorpan wrote:I certainly like my LP10E but you might note that the AFAIK the grips only come from Steyr because of the battery chamber. So if you like other makers’ grips, then the LP10 might be better.
Not true, Rink also makes grips for the LP10E
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Yes Rink makes grips and I suspect as the popularity of the LP10E increases and there is more of them around others such as Nills will offer them in the future.
gatorpan

Grips

Post by gatorpan »

Thanks for the heads up guys! Rinks had a nice selection.

As a matter of fact I am left handed and have small hands. The LP10E has the cocking mechanism on the left side so it is hard to make the make the factory grips thinner on the left side of the pistol. I still need to twist my hand to get a good position on the trigger. Maybe Rinks can solve this problem?
tenex

Post by tenex »

It seems to me that intentionally introducing a complex force generating mechanism (the recoil absorber) to a 10 meter pistol would be counter productive to accuracy, especially if it malfunctioned.

That being said, a lot of people seem to like them. My gun doesn't have one, but I will try my friends LP-10 to see what all the fuss is about. My first instinct would be to go for the LP-2, I like the loading port way better than the absorber.

Just another 2 cents from the peanut gallery,
Steve.