10 Meter Pellet Choice?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

bebloomster

10 Meter Pellet Choice?

Post by bebloomster »

Just bought a FWB 603 that I plan on using at 10 meters for both bullseye and paper silhouette. Wondering what would be a good pellet choice. I've plenty of H&N Finale Pistol Match wadcutter pellets on hand
silentfury214

Post by silentfury214 »

Just try a whole bunch of pellets out. What works in one gun might not necessarily work on another gun.
bebloomster

Post by bebloomster »

Yes, I realize that every gun is indeed a world of it's own. I was just wondering if the FWB 603's generally show a preference for a particular brand of pellet. Somewhat like most S&W Model 41 pistols are known to run quite well on CCI SV ammo. At up to $14 (or more) a tin for quality pellets it could get a little pricey trying out a goodly selection.
peterz

Post by peterz »

I've had a couple of FWB guns (springer 300S + C62 which is almost identical to the 603, plus a C-20 pistol). All shoot well on R-10 rifle pellets. I think that's a good place to start.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Just try out the ones you have and see if they're good enough. Rifle pellets are generally heavier than pistol, but I suspect that really only matters if you're shooting very high end scores, but I don't know. I certainly shoot pistol pellets in my old FWB AR but I don't profess to be a decent rifle shooter.

Rob.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I had my 9003 tested by Neal Johnson in Colorado a few years back. He tested about 10 brands/sizes, and the groups were slightly different. All the pellets would hold the 10 to the X level, so it was better than my hold. I just shoot R10, although HN 451 shot the best. I think any match pellet is OK unless you are on the match circuit. I think the test cost about as much as two sleeves of R10, and in retrospect, I would have done better investing the money into practice instead of information.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I'm not at the point in my air rifle shooting where I need to test pellets. I shoot a FWB 601 and Vogel Green for matches. I get them from our host, Pilkington. When I don't shoot a ten with the air rifle, it is not the pellet or rifle that is holding me back. I do see that Pilkington does recommend the Yellow pellets (lighter weight) for pneumatic guns, so maybe I'll try those when this bunch of pellets runs low.