USA Shooting To Support The NRA Indoor National Championship

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

pilkguns
Site Admin

USA Shooting To Support The NRA Indoor National Championship

Post by pilkguns »

The largest competitive shooting tournament that the NRA conducts is the NRA National Indoor Championship. The Indoor Championship is made up of two parts, the Open Indoor National Championship (open to all competitors), and the Junior Indoor National Championship (open to juniors ages 20 and below). During 2010, the NRA Competitive Shooting Division processed 556 Sectionals (225 Pistol and 331 Rifle) that reported 6,543 entries (1,920 Pistol and 4,623 Rifle) for the 2010 Rifle and Pistol Indoor Championships.
In rifle, there are separate Championships that make up each Open and Junior Indoor Championship.
 The Open Championship is comprised of the NRA Indoor Conventional Position Championship, the NRA Metric Indoor Championship, the NRA Sporter Air Rifle Championship, the NRA Precision Air Gun Championship, the NRA Indoor International Rifle Championship, and the International Air Rifle Championship.
 The Junior Indoor Championship is comprised of the NRA Indoor Conventional Championship, the NRA Metric Indoor Championship, the NRA Sporter Air Rifle Championship, the NRA Precision Air Gun Championship, the NRA Indoor Sporter Standing Championship, and the International Air Rifle Championship.
NRA also conducts the Indoor National Pistol Championships. The Indoor National Pistol Championships are the NRA Conventional Pistol Championship, the NRA International Free-Pistol Championship, the International Standard Pistol Championship, and the International Air Pistol Championship.
The Indoor Collegiate Championships are organized into Rifle and Pistol Championships. Both NCAA and College Club Teams compete in the College Rifle Championships that are made up of International rifle and air rifle. The College Indoor Pistol Championships include Free Pistol, Standard Pistol Air Pistol, and Sport Pistol. All events are open to men and women who have full-time college status.
The 2011 indoor season starts January 1 and runs through mid April. USA Shooting has agreed to support the NRA Indoor Rifle and Pistol National Championships by awarding each individual who places in the top 10% of the overall results in each of the International Indoor Championships, with one free entry to the USA Shooting National Championships that are shot in July at Ft. Benning, GA. Competitors may earn only one free entry per year. The NRA will provide the scores from the top 10% of each NRA International Indoor Championship to USA Shooting at the conclusion of the Championship. USA Shooting will send a congratulatory letter, entry fee certificate and a USA Shooting Championship Competition Program to all qualifiers.
Any competitor firing in an NRA Indoor International Rifle or International Pistol Sectional is eligible to compete for this award. The NRA will compile all of the Sectional scores and publish the National winners.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

This is a very nice idea to get more participation at both events however, I think USA Shooting may have sabotaged their own efforts by scheduling the pistols nationals right before Perry. Most the people I know who shoot the NRA international events, are primarily conventional pistol shooters. With limited time and resources for most of us, who shoot on our own dime, we will be going to Canton and Perry. A free entry fee in one event will not come even close to making it economically viable to get us to travel to Benning, skipping the Canton regional, (largest Conventional pistol match in the country other than Camp Perry) before we rush off to Perry and try and switch gears to shoot Bullseye. Just sayin.
Forrest C.

Post by Forrest C. »

Now I have a reason to train for that sectional!
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Isabel1130 wrote:This is a very nice idea to get more participation at both events...
From the other perspective, I have *NEVER* looked at or considered shooting an NRA sectional with my air pistol. What's the first thing I did after reading the above... I went to see when and where the closest one was occurring.

I doubt I'll ever Seriously shoot conventional pistol, but I might dabble in it and become an advocate with a little exposure.

It's a good thing, perhaps not perfect, but better than it was.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Brian, the international pistol sectional will be at the Arvada range in March. They had an NRA international sectional there for the first time last year. Before that, if you wanted to shoot an international pistol sectional you either had to go to Grand Junction or out of state. Now that the NRA no longer requires an NRA membership to shoot their events (unlike USA shooting) it should be a no brainer to go ahead and shoot it even if your primary interest is USA shooting International. I know a number of conventional pistol shooters who will not go to international events simply because they have to pay an additional membership fee for USA shooting and it is hardly worth it to them to shoot, at most, one or two additional events per year. It will be interesting to see how many, if any, additional shooters they get at Benning this year who get the free entry by placing high at the NRA sectionals. With gas potentially at 4 bucks + a gallon, the hassle and additional expense of flying to a match and then having to rent a car (and get your guns on and off the plane) plus losing half your free entry fee by having to join USA shooting if you are not already a member, (in addition to the scheduling conflict already mentioned), I doubt if it will attract many new shooters to Nationals. However, it may very well benefit the NRA sectionals.
isuguncoach

Post by isuguncoach »

Think of the Junior shooters that have one more reason to shoot a variety of Sectionals, to move towards a new goal.

All shooters now have an excuse to shoot more Sectionals and move to more International levels of competition.

Joe
Chris

Post by Chris »

It is good because for your sectional to count as a sectional there needs to be 6 people on the line. This can be very hard for Free Pistol.

There will be on in Portland OR: March 20 for International and March 13 for Conventional.

Contact me

Toz35m at gmail dot com