Morini 162 pellet speed

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
david alaways

Morini 162 pellet speed

Post by david alaways »

What should the pellet speed be on the 162? Or should I ask what range (of speed)would be the best? Of course my new gun shoots at a far faster speed but I still shoot my old gun better. Im interested in knowing which gun is closer to optimum.
BEA

pellet speed

Post by BEA »

I think Morini says the speed is approx 155 mps.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

perhaps the new 162 with the higher velocity does not like the same pellets as the old one. best way is to chronograph your old 162, put the new one in a vise and adjust its speed to match the speed of the old 162. from there either try to find which pellet the new 162 likes (with the lower speed) or tune a little the speed to the pellet you have (if this is possible). my 162e even thought it was serviced by gehmann recently (new valve and spring) will not reach speeds above 155m/s.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

155mps! That's over 500fps. If memory serves me, when first getting my 162E several years ago, out of curiosity, running it through my Oehler 35P chronograph, and finding the velocity about 365fps., with SD's down in the 1-2fps range, something almost impossible with cartridge ammo. I did my pellet testing in my milling machine vise, where I also found, that at 10m., they would go into the same hole, whether loaded forward or backward. I had been worrying about this, and made up a highly polished SS rod to push a backward loaded pellet from the bbl., but didn't want to run anything down the barrel, which I understand isn't as hard as a firearm bbl., for fear of damaging it. When I get back to my other house, I'll check these figures, I believe, due to the low SD's, I've saved the readout tapes in the chronograph case

Paul
David Levene

Re: pellet speed

Post by David Levene »

BEA wrote:I think Morini says the speed is approx 155 mps.
They certainly do in the online manual.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Well Dave, I'm not surprised. Lately, since reaching my seventies, I've been suffering from CRS in a big way. Unless they've increased the speed in their pistols, it's just cropped up again!:>) I'll make note to be sure, when I get home, to check the old records, and re chronograph my pistol.

Paul
david alaways

speed

Post by david alaways »

My new gun was shooting 390 fps to 405 fps, my old gun was shooting more like 320. Slower it goes the bigger the hole gets. I shot a match against a friend yesterday in his range and topped 570 so now I feel im ready to part with my old gun. But feel maybe I should have it serviced first. I was sort wondering if there was anything wrong with shooting at 320 fps when your scores r still really good?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Yeah, there's something wrong! When you shoot on the crap American targets used at many matches, you will have great difficulty in getting a clean hole in the paper.

Most modern guns do about 480 to 525fps and work pretty well at that velocity.
david alaways

speed

Post by david alaways »

Actually we have been shooting top Quality targets. You can still see the size difference (or cleanness) of the hole when shooting 400fps compared to 500fps. Scott P tells me as long as it consistant the accuracy should be just fine. I am going to adjust them (now that I know how to) but am content to shoot 400 fps rather than 500 fps.