Service interval on air guns

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

TerryKuz

Service interval on air guns

Post by TerryKuz »

How often does a modern air gun like an Anschutz 9003 or Steyr LP50 need serviced? I don't recall seeing a figure like 30,000 rounds, or every 3 years.
enricovolante

Post by enricovolante »

I would say every three years but only for o-rings replacement.
All the other maintenance can be done by yourself
Brian Carstensen

Post by Brian Carstensen »

I would say it is based on the maintenance you do yourself, and how much you use it. Someone shooting a tin of pellets a week is going to need it serviced sooner then someone only shooting a tin a month. I shoot about 2-3 tins a month and I do as much work on it as I can, that said I try to get it in for service about every 2 years. And if something like my regulator goes out then I just get it serviced when I send it in for repairs.
Quest1

Re: Service interval on air guns

Post by Quest1 »

TerryKuz wrote:How often does a modern air gun like an Anschutz 9003 or Steyr LP50 need serviced? I don't recall seeing a figure like 30,000 rounds, or every 3 years.
It depends very how much you shot the guns and some guns are built more rugged then others. I own both an Anschutz 8002 and a FWB P700 and I go through a can of pellets a week. The Anschutz was at first my primary rifle, with this rate of usage, required a replacement of the regulator and seal replacement on an annual basis. My Steyr LP10 required the same amount of maintenance, since I shot the same amount of pellets. The clubs Steyr LP1 and Morini 160s both needed overhauls after a year of use. When I had the Anschutz overhauled the cost of replacing the regulator and seals was significantly more costly then overhauling my P700. The reason why as told to me by the person who rebuilt the Anschutz is that Anschutz has put everything into a module, so you have to replace a whole module rather then just the parts needing to be replaced. For this reason, I have started using the P700 as the main gun and the Anschutz as a backup gun. Knock on wood, but I have been shooting the P700 three years without an overhaul. Obviously, if you shot less it will require less overhauling. I have junior rifles such as Walther LG300s and Anschutz 8001s, which don't get that kind of heavy use that have been around for over 10 years without an overhaul.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I am getting a 9003 tomorrow and I was going to track my usage. I just sold a 9003, and it did not seem to have any wear after 2 years of use. I just reviewed the on-line manual, and they suggested annual factory service, cleaning the barrel every 2000 shots, and a bit of lube on the trigger. They don't really have any tips for self maintenance. Shipping is so expensive, I would prefer to do it on my own. Shipping from Colorado to PA was 80 bucks with insurance. I really don't like 150 bucks in round trip shipping plus all the downtime. Before Neil Johnson retired, I sent him my previous 9003 for a pellet test, and it was a very costly exercise. Shipping was 120 bucks then.
silentfury214

Post by silentfury214 »

ARGH! We have a spammer!
Quest1

Shipping

Post by Quest1 »

TerryKuz wrote:I am getting a 9003 tomorrow and I was going to track my usage. I just sold a 9003, and it did not seem to have any wear after 2 years of use. I just reviewed the on-line manual, and they suggested annual factory service, cleaning the barrel every 2000 shots, and a bit of lube on the trigger. They don't really have any tips for self maintenance. Shipping is so expensive, I would prefer to do it on my own. Shipping from Colorado to PA was 80 bucks with insurance. I really don't like 150 bucks in round trip shipping plus all the downtime. Before Neil Johnson retired, I sent him my previous 9003 for a pellet test, and it was a very costly exercise. Shipping was 120 bucks then.
Unless you need some stock work you have to ship the whole rifle. You can take action out of the stock and save on shipping costs.
Quest1

Shipping

Post by Quest1 »

TerryKuz wrote:I am getting a 9003 tomorrow and I was going to track my usage. I just sold a 9003, and it did not seem to have any wear after 2 years of use. I just reviewed the on-line manual, and they suggested annual factory service, cleaning the barrel every 2000 shots, and a bit of lube on the trigger. They don't really have any tips for self maintenance. Shipping is so expensive, I would prefer to do it on my own. Shipping from Colorado to PA was 80 bucks with insurance. I really don't like 150 bucks in round trip shipping plus all the downtime. Before Neil Johnson retired, I sent him my previous 9003 for a pellet test, and it was a very costly exercise. Shipping was 120 bucks then.
Unless you need some stock work all you need to ship is the action and save on shipping costs.