Greetings gentlemen...

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Shapecharge

Greetings gentlemen...

Post by Shapecharge »

Just found this site today. Former military rifle and pistol shooter from long ago looking to regain lost glory with the pistol. I have a Les Baer National Match and S&W M41. I also have a FWB 103 that I enjoy shooting very much. Look forward to reading through past posts and relying on the expertise of the shooters here to get me caught back up.
Freepistol

. . . and Ladies

Post by Freepistol »

Welcome, Shapecharge!
There are Ladies on this site to greet, also.
It takes many hours to read the archives.
Have a great New Year!
Shapecharge

Post by Shapecharge »

Ladies really? I figured they'd in the kitchen cooking and following up with cleaning, and ironing. Thanks for the shout out FreePistol.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Shapecharge, are you planning on shooting with irons or a red dot?
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

Welcome to a great site. You will find some of the most informed reading from every avenue of shooting disciplines here at TT.

That's a nice stable of irons you got there!

Happy New Year

M.S.
Shapecharge

Post by Shapecharge »

Isabel my eyes are still reasonably solid so I'm iron sights all the way. I have absolutely no knowledge of the the dot based systems. I have a pair of Champion glasses but I need a new prescription on the lens. I'm hoping to join a club nearby soon...have to introduce myself and be vested. I told my wife I had to scratch this itch and either be somebody or put it to rest. My actual goal is to shoot service pistol at Camp Perry. I passed on the opportunity years ago...just one of many regrets.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

It is never too late to go to Camp Perry as long as you are in good enough health to shoot. 2011 will be my 4th year at Camp Perry and I hope to be shooting there for the next 20 at least. I take it that your Les Baer is set up for hardball then? How far a drive is Camp Perry for you? For me it is about 1300 miles. By the way, if you are planning on shooting bullseye you should also consider joining the bullseye-L list. http://lists.lava.net/mailman/listinfo/bullseye-l Isabel
Shapecharge

Post by Shapecharge »

I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth area so it'll be a haul for me. Yes the Les Baer is the Nat'l Match Hardball. It's an awesome pistol. Thanks for the info on the link. Happy New Year to all.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Shapecharge, The Texas indoor is the 9th and 10th of April in Amarillo and the outdoor is at the Dallas Pistol Club the first weekend in May. Right now, I plan on being at both. Hope to see you at one or the other. The Texas Association fields a nice team at Camp Perry, and are a very friendly bunch. They have a strong juniors program. You need to get to know those guys and they are all on the Bullseye-L list.
Shapecharge

Post by Shapecharge »

That is excellent information. Thank you so much brother. Now I have something to focus on and work towards.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

To All, Does the NRA hold different matches for iron sights and red dots, or are all competing together?
I've about given up trying to find Int-style matches here in western NC, since Fulton County stole our Wolf Creek range, and The Citidel team has their new range in Charleston, and are no longer shooting in Newberry,SC.
I've recently joined the Charlotte Rifle and Pistol Club, where I shot a few Int. matches several years ago, run by Eli Colotta, but they're not being held anymore. I've purchased an Ultra Match Dot, and am waiting for rings to fit my Benelli MP95. If I find I like Bullseye, I'll test my 1911's in my Ransom Rest, and if I can get any of them to shoot, I'll put a red dot on it also, otherwise, it's a Les Baer, I guess, but at 71yrs. of age, I hate to tie up that much money.

I've got my Morini 162E, TOZ, Benelli MP95, IZJ35, and a 4 screw S&W K38 sitting in the safe, and aside from practice, they're doing nothing. Anybody got any ideas how to get interest started in Int.-style?

Paul
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

In bullseye there are no separate divisions for irons, but the NRA does run some international matches, which are exclusive iron sights matches. The schedule for these can be found in the current issue of USA shooting sports, an online magazine for the NRA. Most of us get used to driving to find matches. The closest I have ever had a match to where I live is 50 miles and that match I ran myself and did not get to shoot. I have never driven less than 200 miles round trip to a match. For the league I shoot, it is 120 miles round trip. Many of the international guys who shoot bullseye do it with irons and there is no appreciable difference in their scores. I shoot both irons and with a dot. I prefer the irons in slow fire but shoot better with the dot in sustained fire.

http://www.nrapublications.org/ssusa/index.html
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Isabel, I'm no stranger to the traveling necessary to make ISU matches. For several years, until Fulton County GA., took the Wolf Creek Olympic Shooting Facility away from us(USA Shooting), I used to travel the 500mi. round trip at least once, sometimes twice a month, to train, and shoot the PTO's. (One year, I qualified for the Nationals). I also used to travel 250mi. round trip, to Newberry, SC., where Joel (Doc) Sexton, the Citadel Pistol Team coach, held monthly training, and occasional PTO's. This stopped, after the Citadel got their beautiful, state of the art range, and I attended a few matches there, which was 530mi. round trip, but the motel rates were a bit out of my price range, to make it a regular event for me. I was lucky, to live on 30 acres, and have all the shooting facilities at home, for training, including 10m. air pistol in my basement, but have since purchased a second home 90mi. away, near Charlotte, NC., and joined the Charlotte Rifle and Pistol Club, where NRA conventional pistol matches are regularly held. At one time, an occasional USAS match was held, here, but that seems to have stopped. The lighting, on their indoor range, seems a bit weak for these old eyes, and this may have to do with the fact that most shooters are using red dots. When the weather warms, I'll probably spend most of my time at their outdoor range, with my TOZ at 50m.
Paul