tenring

Does anyone use a barrel tuner?

Post by tenring »

What is your experience?

Thanks,

Charles
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

I tried one, but decided to take it off. In order to really get it tuned in, it takes a good couple hundred rounds of ammo, if not up to a brick. It's too much of a hassle for me personally when I'm getting very good results simply by buying a couple lots of ammo and adjusting the torque on my bedding screws.
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

I wouldn't shoot without one. It does take some ammo to get it dialed in, but I think it is worth it.

That being said, I only really recommend a tuner to someone who is a more advanced shooter. It is pretty pointless for a first year junior to get a tuner. If you are not already shooting 590+ ISSF prone, then you probably won't be able to see the difference with or without a tuner.

Just my opinion,
Eric U
tenring

Post by tenring »

Hi Eric, I sent you a message via email. I'm shooting around 1590 NRA. And better when I use a scope. This was my first summer to shoot prone too. I'm learning fast. What length would you recommend for my 27in Anschutz 1811?

Thanks,

Charles
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

Same scores here, please share that info! Thanks once again, Eric.
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

Tube length is personal preference. If you are shooting prone only, I see no real disadvantage to shooting with the longest tube you can get. If the sight is too far forward you can always slide it back. If the tube is too short you can't slide it forward. It gets more complicated with 3p as weight and balance come into play more. I've sold a lot of 8-10" tubes to 3p shooters, and a lot of 12" tubes to prone shooters.

Eric U
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

However...
a 12" tube does act like a sail in the wind which can be problematic.

I also have a 2" tube for blustery conditions - although the balance of the rifle is quite different (no tuner though).
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

I have never noticed my bloop tube acting much like a sail. I know it has an impact on some level, but I don't notice it when shooting irons.

It's a tactic of mine when Perry decides to be nasty on scope days to chuck my irons on and it has worked wonderfully for me. Course I use an old Lyman Super-Target Spot that's nearly the length of my barrel. I've tried to take my 10" tube off when shooting scope, to very little effect.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Happy new year everyone!

Hello Soupy44!

When you say thatt you prefer to adjust the torque on the bedding screws,which one do you adjust(or both of them)?
Thank you!
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

You adjust both to the same torque. This has the same effect as the tuner in that it changes the harmonics of the barrel.

It might be a good stepping stone to use torque before a tuner because it is a lot more time and user friendly. The general range you torque a stock is 30-45in lbs. Tuners often have 200+ positions.

On another note, if you're 1590ish in your scores, a tuner will not have much of an effect on your scores. Using a tuner or torque setting usually only gets you a few mm on your groups at most. Most NRA shooters use tuners to squeeze out a few more Xs, not points. The vast majority of match ammo will naturally group in the 10 ring on NRA targets.

Adding a tube might help your hold and I feel is the place you should start. If you want to get into using a tuner later, go ahead and buy it now but leave it on one setting. In the meantime, work on first eliminating shots you put in the 9 ring, and then your wind reading second.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Hello Soupy44!

I am not interested in a tuner because I have a long way to reach this performance level.
I am interested on the tightening torque because I have bedded my fullbore and I am aware about tightening influencies.
So,both screws for smallbore on equal ammounts.
Do you know if this goes for fullbore?(both screws tightening)

Thank you!