Quick release for spotting scope

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Finprof

Quick release for spotting scope

Post by Finprof »

Is here a quick release available for a spotting scope?
I have a Freeland stand with the swivel zoom head. The head must be taken apart in order to attach the spotting scope. With a table-top tripod I just screw in the scope to the stand, which is much easier since I don't have to take anything apart.
I would like to have a quick-release on the Freeland stand that will attach to a release on the spotting scope. Does anyone make one of these? I would think that a camera accessories manufacturer would.

Thanks for your help.
tenring

Post by tenring »

Creedmoor sports has one...I have one ordered, but its on backorderand has been for sometime. $30. They are redesigning it they say.

Charles
peterz

Post by peterz »

Manfrotto tripods sells at least a couple of different quick release platforms for 1/4 by 20 threads. one goes onto the telescope; the other goes onto the tripod (head). Push a spring-loaded button to lock; flip a lever to unlock. I use one for photography all the time.

Don't know the price, but B&H Photo almost certainly has them in stock.
bruce

Post by bruce »

My spotting scope is an Opticron ES 80, mounted onto a Gehmann stand, via a Manfrotto quick release plate/ball head.

Finprof

Quick release

Post by Finprof »

Thank you all for your help. I couldn't find the Creedmoor item either on their website or their catalog. The Manfrotto is $33.00 at B&H. I will pick one up the next time I go to NYC.

Thanks again. It really is a pain to take apart the swivel head just to mount a scope. Then you have to take it apart to put it away.
Finprof

Post by Finprof »

Another "Thank you" for advising on the Manfrotto.
It works even better than I could have imagined and is an interesting design exercize. I can attach the scope to my stand with one hand in less than five seconds. It used to take me at least five minutes to take apart teh swivel head,attach the scope and then put the swivel had back together.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Glad to be of help :)