Pellets expiry??

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Jessy

Pellets expiry??

Post by Jessy »

Hello everybody, do pellets expire? I have some closed pellets boxes that were manufactured about 8-10 years ago, can I use them now, will this damage my pistol?

Thanks
Rover

Post by Rover »

Yes. No.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Rover wrote:Yes. No.
To be more complete, No - Yes - No
Bakerman

Post by Bakerman »

It's still better to chech the pellets visually - if they have a white oxide coating then get rid of them. As I know lead oxide is quite hard and can damage your barrel.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Technically all lead is oxidized on the surface, thats why it's dull. There is no lead compound that is harder than steel, so it will not damage you barrel.

If they are white and fuzzy, I too would throw them away rather than getting that white crap in the action and in the regulator.

This use to be more of a problem, but the current coatings on pellets are much better and I haven't seen badly oxidized pellets lately.

That said try to store them in a reasonably dry place that doesn't have great temperature swings and you shouldn't have a problem.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Jessy, I think you should go with your first instinct, and not take a chance using them. Since they are lead, a substance the EPA has very strict guidelines as to the disposal of, this can pose a real problem. Send me an e-mail, and I'll arrange to dispose of them in a proper fashion !:>).

Paul
superstring

Post by superstring »

pgfaini wrote:Jessy, I think you should go with your first instinct, and not take a chance using them. Since they are lead, a substance the EPA has very strict guidelines as to the disposal of, this can pose a real problem. Send me an e-mail, and I'll arrange to dispose of them in a proper fashion !:>).

Paul
I'm curious: exactly what kind of unique danger do you think using these old pellets would pose? And what additional "real problems" would be encountered disposing of old UNUSED pellets vs. USED flattened pellets?
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Superstring, I don't know. For me, "proper disposal" would be to flatten them one at a time, probably in strings of 60, and then add them to my bullet casting lead.

Didn't you see the "smiley" at the end of my post? Where's your sense of humor?

Paul
God

Re: Pellets expiry??

Post by God »

Jessy wrote:Hello everybody, do pellets expire? I have some closed pellets boxes that were manufactured about 8-10 years ago, can I use them now, will this damage my pistol?
Old pellets do expire due to build up of a lead oxide coating at the surface of the pellets (lead oxide is extremelly hard and harmful to any gunbarrel).
According to the new ISSF rules (valid from january 1. 2010). air sylinders and airgun pellets expire at an age of exactly 10 years.

If your pellets are older than 10 years you may feel free to send them to me, for proper disposal.
Free of charge.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Jessy:

If your pellet boxes (tins) are closed, they should be airtight and i suppose no oxidation could have formed eventhough they were stored for 8-10 years like you said.

If they look normal, go ahead and use them.
william

Post by william »

I'm not a chemist, but I once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. I don't think lead oxide is the issue. Lead oxides occur as: PbO is either red or yellow; Pb3O4 is red; PbO2 is dark brown. The white stuff that collects on pellets I'm fairly sure is "white lead" or lead carbonate. Once used as a pigment lead carbonate among its other properties is quite soft, and in the past was even used as a lubricant for bearings or for machining metals. Thanks, Wikipedia.
Rover

Post by Rover »

If the lead works as a lube, that's great. If it works as an abrasive, that's great. Folks pay a lot to have their barrels lapped for extra accuracy.

While the airgun barrels are good, I suppose they can be improved.

I have several air rifles with a constriction where the barrel is crammed into the breech.

I have already "firelapped" several firearms with abrasive embedded lead projectiles, mostly revolvers with the above breech constriction.
superstring

Post by superstring »

pgfaini wrote:Superstring, I don't know. For me, "proper disposal" would be to flatten them one at a time, probably in strings of 60, and then add them to my bullet casting lead.

Didn't you see the "smiley" at the end of my post? Where's your sense of humor?

Paul
Ah, yes.... humor!