pistol shooting "muff"

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
pgfaini

pistol shooting "muff"

Post by pgfaini »

Hi, I've just gotten back into intl. pistol after several years, and was out shooting my TOZ this week. Due to the cold, I used the muff(hand not ears), I'd bought years ago, and another shooter asked where he could get one. I wasn't sure where I'd goten mine, I hadn't used it since a cold day at a Wolf Creek PTO years ago. If memory serves, I think it was Arnie Vitarbo's wife who was sewing them. I guess old age is getting to my memory. Anybody remember who's wife was making them?

Paul F.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Mouche also make a pistol shooting muff / mitt.

Rob.
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

Hi Paul - Nice to see you back. Was wondering where you went.
Gwhite

Re: pistol shooting "muff"

Post by Gwhite »

pgfaini wrote:If memory serves, I think it was Arnie Vitarbo's wife who was sewing them. I guess old age is getting to my memory.
I've got one for my Morini, and one for my wife's Pardini. My memory matches yours. although I purchased them through a third party. Very useful in New England.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Thanks, Folks.

Rob, Would he have to order the Mouche pistol mitten from Germany? I don't see any vendors in the States. The one source I've found for Mouche in the UK doesn't seem to carry the mitts, just the Pistol Jacket.
Paul
tufty

Post by tufty »

Emailed Mouche about these yesterday as its so cold here, not heard back yet...
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Here’s my solution (and what I did…works fine for me)

Visit a local charity store which sells used clothing. Find an old loose-fitting (preferably wool) sweater / jersey / pullover. Cut off a sleeve. TA DA! Your pistol muff is complete. If the cuff is too tight to include your hand + grip, cut off the cuff and thread the tube onto your arm in reverse.

Alternatively, buy a short length of thick polar-fleece, fold down the middle, sew along one edge to make a tube, turn inside-out so the seam is on the inside.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The one's Mrs. Vitarbo made (makes?) have an elastic cuff, and the fleece part is sewn so that it fits well over the hand, grip & trigger guard on the pistol. They are primarily designed for free pistols, and are specific to different pistols. The Pardini 75 one has a slot in front for the cocking lever, and the models for Toz/Hammerli pistols had access to the cocking lever on the bottom of the grip. The one I have for my Morini is sort of like a fleece bag, with only an elastic opening on the top side to clear the loading area & cocking lever.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I realise that most people just need one of these muffs for training/practice but be careful if you intend using them in ISSF competitions.

8.4.3.1 Hand covers for 50 m Pistol are permitted, providing they do not
cover the wrist.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

David Levene wrote:I realise that most people just need one of these muffs for training/practice but be careful if you intend using them in ISSF competitions.

8.4.3.1 Hand covers for 50 m Pistol are permitted, providing they do not
cover the wrist.
Further to Davids comments I have both used my mouche mitt in an ISSF competition and had it dissallowed. I think by the same RO.... and not for the reason given above.

Rob.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

What reason did he give?