glass bedding the round 54 action???

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tenring

glass bedding the round 54 action???

Post by tenring »

Can anyone give me some specific advise on how to bed the round 54 match action. Should I use pillers or not?, Type of bedding recommended and why, with or without recoil lug and why, and how to do it???

Much thanks appreciated. I have a friend that is experienced in bedding, but he has never done an Anschutz. Has done only custom 22 Benchrest rifles.

Thanks,

Charles[/u]

Post by Guest »

I've bedded a handful of round 54s with very good results. I always use pillars to get the most out of job. With pillars installed correctly you'll never have to re-torque bedding bolts until you take the action out of the stock. I always use Devcon plastic steel putty for the material. It has a good consistency, is very strong, and resists water and cleaning chemicals well. Remember you'll have to cut a slot in the bedding for the loading ramp clip. I've bedded some from the front of the action to the front of the trigger...others from the very back to the first inch of the barrel. I can't really tell the difference. If it matters to you, the best shooting one out of the bunch was the one only bedded from the front of the action to the front of the trigger well...the rear end of the action was floated.

-Mark
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

You might want to look at my short video regarding my 1913 bedding project about a year ago. It's pillar bedded, but there were three stock-related issues addressed - one was that the barrel was not actually free-floated from Anschutz; it rode wood halfway down the barrel so it had to be chiseled out accordingly. The trigger wasn't timed correctly, and the action was riding about 11mm of wood at the bottom of the channel so it was not entirely stabilized. The scalloping at the top of the stock had to be milled down to prevent a mechanical lock from occuring; the wood very slightly turns in, and when filled, I'd never get the barrel out again unless the scalloping was milled out. Believe it or not, I had a very talented college student do the work, and we both learned from the experience.

End result - this gun is a tack driver now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YjbizXsk08