trigger ?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

trigger ?

Post by Guest »

what is the general thought on over travel screws ? is it better for accuracy/shot placement to have the screw adjusted to stop the trigger just after the shot brakes or just have it backed off some and let the trigger travel further? Or is it just personal preference
RobStubbs

Re: trigger ?

Post by RobStubbs »

Anonymous wrote:what is the general thought on over travel screws ? is it better for accuracy/shot placement to have the screw adjusted to stop the trigger just after the shot brakes or just have it backed off some and let the trigger travel further? Or is it just personal preference
I would suggest personal preference. I think I have a bit of travel after the shot releases but I can't remember. With good, smooth shot release, it shouldn't matter.

Rob
David M

Post by David M »

set .020" to .050" after travel at the centre face of the trigger.
Gort

Post by Gort »

I agree with Rob on electronic triggers, where trigger weight is primarily spring resistance that does not drop off when the shot breaks.
However, with mechanical triggers we have a different dynamic. For example, if you have a 1000 gm. trigger with stage one set at 600 gm. and stage two set at 400 gm, when the trigger breaks you instantly drop 400 gm. from your 1000 gm. of finger pressure.
If the stop is set too far away the trigger can accelerate and come to a abrupt stop, jarring the pistol (poor follow through). This is why I prefer the trigger stop to halt movement as close to the shot breaking as possible.
Gort
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Gort wrote:I agree with Rob on electronic triggers, where trigger weight is primarily spring resistance that does not drop off when the shot breaks.
However, with mechanical triggers we have a different dynamic. For example, if you have a 1000 gm. trigger with stage one set at 600 gm. and stage two set at 400 gm, when the trigger breaks you instantly drop 400 gm. from your 1000 gm. of finger pressure.
If the stop is set too far away the trigger can accelerate and come to a abrupt stop, jarring the pistol (poor follow through). This is why I prefer the trigger stop to halt movement as close to the shot breaking as possible.
Gort
I've never noticed that massive drop you mention on either my .22 or .32 pistols (1000g +). I would suggest if you really see that then the long stop is better as that gives you more time to reach it, a stop close after trigger break would be hit very quickly. Whether any of that could affect the travel of the bullet is a case for discussion, I personally don't think it could as the bullet has already left the gun.

Rob.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

On my Steyr LP5 (520g) the reduction in pressure when the trigger releases is 35g (measured with a Correx gauge).
LeLongCarabine

Post by LeLongCarabine »

I have mine set to stop dead as soon as the sear has released i think it save putting any more pressure on the trigger some say that if the setting is for a longer move the trigger can follow through while the shot is still moving up the barrel but im not too convinced

Post by Guest »

You have two choices concerning your personal preference - with or without trigger stop. But if you do use it, you should adjust it as tight as technically possible. Leaving any substantial gap would mean that the trigger moves some way and THEN hits the stop, which in any case is the least preferable.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Anonymous wrote:You have two choices concerning your personal preference - with or without trigger stop. But if you do use it, you should adjust it as tight as technically possible. Leaving any substantial gap would mean that the trigger moves some way and THEN hits the stop, which in any case is the least preferable.
Why is a large gap preferable to no gap ? A large gap gives more time before (if) you hit the stop, so it's even less likely to disturb the gun.

Rob.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

RobStubbs wrote:
Anonymous wrote:You have two choices concerning your personal preference - with or without trigger stop. But if you do use it, you should adjust it as tight as technically possible. Leaving any substantial gap would mean that the trigger moves some way and THEN hits the stop, which in any case is the least preferable.
Why is a large gap preferable to no gap ? A large gap gives more time before (if) you hit the stop, so it's even less likely to disturb the gun.

Rob.
Go Rob,

and nowhere has anybody mentioned if they are giving opinions in relation to Precision (10/50m), general 25m or Rapid Fire Pistol - and YES, it makes a difference
David M

Post by David M »

On mechanical triggers the weight just prior to break is made up of
-first stage weight
-second stage weight (if fitted)
-sear and pin friction
After firing the sear friction diappears.
Depending on the sear angles this can be a little or a lot (it is possible if the sear angles are faulty that the trigger pressure can increase and the trigger kick forward, [dangerous and needs repair]).
A perfect sear will have no weight change (the Unique two sear system is a good example).
On an electronic trigger it depends on the type of switching, they are all different.
Too little after travel and poor trigger release will contact and move the frame.
Too much after travel and a jerk will move the frame even further.
A small amount will allow a good trigger control shot to not contact and disturb the shot.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Spencer wrote:
Go Rob,

and nowhere has anybody mentioned if they are giving opinions in relation to Precision (10/50m), general 25m or Rapid Fire Pistol - and YES, it makes a difference
Spencer,
That's a fair point and as you say, it matters. I was answering more from a precision standpoint, since the original question asked
"what is best for accuracy and shot placement".
Rob.
RJP

Ideal trigger stop

Post by RJP »

I have always thought that an ideal trigger stop would be a soft stop where the trigger pressure increases dramatically either before or after the sear is released. This could be done with a spring or elastic part in the trigger stop.

However, if you have good trigger control and follow through, it makes no difference if you use a trigger stop or not.
roman

Post by roman »

I would say: let us try with or without trigger stop, and also something in between! only the target knows which is better.