Glove Question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tenring

Glove Question

Post by tenring »

I have only had one glove (Gehmann fingerless) and was wondering if there were any that are superiour to the Gehmann in the area of the Palm where the rifle rest. The Gehmann is ok and does well, but I recently tried a mitt that I thought would be superior but my hand went numb quick. I want to get a second glove maybe one with fingers for the winter. I have never tried any other. I figured if there was one better than the Gehmann I'd be in real good shape.

Thanks

Charles
westerngriz

Post by westerngriz »

I use the monard precision. It has a plasticy rubbery stuff that works really well.
Matt
ZD

Post by ZD »

Definately a Kurt Thune glove. Personally, I use a full finger soft one. It was used before I got it, and I've had it for 5 years (probably going to replace it). I'm not in the habit of buying the most expensive gear, but I've done it in the glove area (had a new large kurt thune glove, but sold it cause it was to big). Most of the monard and sauer type gloves rub around your fingers when they get old. I feel that when it comes to your hand, you want the best you can get. As for soft vs hard shell, it's a matter of preference. Kurt Thune even sells a combination one, with a hard shell on the outside and a soft on the palm. They are very comfortable. As for full vs half, that is again preference. Full fingers do make it more difficult to change targets at matches that use the electric target bringer for air rifle, but it is very easy to use a full finger to, you just have to do it differently.
tenring

Post by tenring »

I guess my biggest concern with any glove is the palm. Good padding, and a good firm shell (something like the top-grip) to even out the pressure across the palm area. If I can get that...I'm golden. I'm unfamiliear with the Kurt Thune soft verses hard shell. Maybe someone can help narrow that down. I'm thinking full finger as winter is here and the added warmth might come in handy.

Charles
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

AHG, Thune, Gehmann, Kustermann, Monard are all good makes, but as in all matters related to shooting clothing what really counts is that the one you use suits you. The split in type is really between the more rigid or "solid" type and the more flexible variety that tend to be a little more padded. There isn't really any substitute for trying them on.

If you are considering a full cover glove then IMHO it is essential to try before you buy. There is nothing worse a trying to shoot with a glove that has too short fingers. It doesn't take much to create a really uncomfortable pressure. The only solution is taking a pair of scissors to your brand new piece of kit and ending up with a finger(tip)less glove again!

Rutty
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Personally, I don't regret buying one of these:

justadude

Post by justadude »

I have been through about 3 generations (and rules changes) of Thune gloves. I personnally found that they have a well thought out selection and use of materials. Yes, they are pricey but compared to the rest of my stuff the price is not so bad so I suck it up and figure it will last until the next rule change or something clearly better comes out that I just "have" to have.

The problem of opening the fingers on a full fingered glove: I have long fingers to that was pretty standard, drop the better part of $100 on a glove, shoot ten shots, get out the razor blade and start cutting the seams on the fingertips open. That did not make any difference to manufacturer, just the way it was and still is.

To make the sling hand more comfortable you may also want to look into handstops. Different diameters, shapes and heights all make a difference. There are several handstops now that will also adjust sideways. This past summer I decided that I "had" to have a MEC handstop. Took some trial and error finding the right sideways adjustment but that helps a lot too.

'Dude

Post by Guest »

Tenring, it appears 10pt9.com has some Kurt Thune gloves on sale. Including some full-finger ones at really low prices, for Thune gloves anyway.