Proper position of left hand

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
peterz

Proper position of left hand

Post by peterz »

Every picture I see about AP stance says that you should put the left thumb through a belt loop in front of the body. But I'm a lot more comfortable putting my left hand in my left front pocket. Is there any significant advantage to using a belt loop that would make it worth my while to make the change?
zoned

Re: Proper position of left hand

Post by zoned »

peterz wrote:... Is there any significant advantage to using a belt loop that would make it worth my while to make the change?
Only if it improves your scores. We are not clones, "proper" for one does not make it a rule for another.
tony gallegos

Post by tony gallegos »

No PeterZ, stick your non holding hand anywhere you want, as long as
you're not supporting your other hand/arm. Some let their arm hang,
some use the front pocket, some the rear pockect some grab their shirt,
some grab a buttock, and some do as I do and use the "AL BUNDY" hand
slide!

TG
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

There's no great difference to belt or pocket, it's predominantly about comfort. One comment I would add is that you want consistency which 'can' be easier to acheive with a belt than trousers / pants. Pockets can be in slightly different places.

Rob.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Years of shooting have me in a very deep habit of placing the weak hand in my pocket. There are many who hook or place on the belt in front. It really is a comfort choice. But recently I am finding that placing the hand in front helps cue the core stability.
probablynathan

Post by probablynathan »

I am a new shooter and last night at the suggestion of the range officer I tried holding my left hand in different positions. I normally shoot with my left hand in a loose fist sitting in the small of my back. The RO said she had not seen this position used before and suggested that I put my hand in my pocket, this felt rather uncomfortable for me (probably as I have long arms) and it was reflected in my shooting. when returning to my old position I noticed that my posture improved as well as my shooting. just wondering if using this hand position is ok or am I creating a habit that will have to be undone if I want to progress.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

probablynathan wrote:I am a new shooter and last night at the suggestion of the range officer I tried holding my left hand in different positions. I normally shoot with my left hand in a loose fist sitting in the small of my back. The RO said she had not seen this position used before and suggested that I put my hand in my pocket, this felt rather uncomfortable for me (probably as I have long arms) and it was reflected in my shooting. when returning to my old position I noticed that my posture improved as well as my shooting. just wondering if using this hand position is ok or am I creating a habit that will have to be undone if I want to progress.
The left hand behind the back, was a popular technique in days gone by. Nowadays you see very few top level shooters who shoot that way (I can't recall seeing any). As with anything, you need to evaluate changes over a series of sessions and see how it goes. The most common LH position is on the belt and it certainly feels good for me shooting that way. You need to experiment with what works for you, but give each a proper period of evaluation. Comfort comes with familiarity but if something starts hurting then that's the time to stop it.

Rob.