Air Rifle for Pistol Shooter?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Lammy1000

Air Rifle for Pistol Shooter?

Post by Lammy1000 »

I enjoy various shooting sports and compete in a casual .22 pistol league. My forte may be pistol shooting, but my wife and I "compete" fairly seriously at my 10 m indoor range with an RWS 34 W/4X scope. I know this is untraditional and certainly not the equipment that is spoken of here. My question is I am looking for a more accurate and lighter 10 meter air rifle that can be mounted with a scope. The Avanti 853 comes to mind, but seems a bit too "plastic". Any suggestions on new or used is appreciated.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I don't know the weight of your RWS34.

A junior match rifle (like a used FWB-300 mini) would be my suggestion, but I think that rifle is heavier than your 34.

The 853 has a wood stock, the 953 is the one with a plastic stock.
The 853 is a decent choice, but even with the trigger mod, the trigger is nowhere near the quality of a match rifle like the 300. And you WILL have to do the trigger mod to the 853 to do any real target shooting.

BTW, why is the scope a requirement?
Why not just shoot with diopter sights?
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I have a Air Arms AA400, and it is about 9 pounds with a leupold 6x20 scope. It will hold the 10 ring, and has a great trigger.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

A light option is a TAU-200 Junior with the RESIN stock. The resin stock is much lighter than the wood stock. However, the lighter stock moves the center of gravity forward. I prefer the center of gravity of with the wood stock.
w/o the muzzle weight and sights, my resin stocked TAU-200 jr is 6.4 pounds, as measured on my bathroom scale.
Oz

Post by Oz »

GaryN wrote:A light option is a TAU-200 Junior with the RESIN stock. The resin stock is much lighter than the wood stock. However, the lighter stock moves the center of gravity forward. I prefer the center of gravity of with the wood stock.
w/o the muzzle weight and sights, my resin stocked TAU-200 jr is 6.4 pounds, as measured on my bathroom scale.
Pilkguns just by chance has a few of these for sale. Junior, with the resin stock. They are incredibly accurate. I'll put mine in a vice and do a group test soon.

I recently documented the conversion of one of these from CO2 to compressed air: http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=27721

Oz
yana

Post by yana »

The 34 is VERYVERY accurate. its my most accurate springer at 25m.
If you want a lighter springer for 10m, non-match, look at the HW30.
Lammy1000

Post by Lammy1000 »

Thanks for the comments, I will be exploring all of these. The need/want for a scope is only because my wife feels there is a greater "fun factor" by using an optical device. I do not necessarilly agree with her, but she seems to be a true natral with a rifle (just don't put a pistol in her hand) able to shoot the same size groups as I after firing a tiny fraction of the rounds I have fired in a lifetime.
Oz

Post by Oz »

The TAU200 uses a dovetail for the peep sight. A scope will mount right up.

They are pretty popular as field rifles once converted to compressed air since they are very accurate and can get some good FPE's.

It seems that a 10m target rifle can more easily be adapted to a field rifle than a field rifle can be adapted to a target rifle.

Oz