Ammo used by top ISSF shooters

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Environs

Ammo used by top ISSF shooters

Post by Environs »

Just been watching 50m Prone World cup final on ISSF TV. Excellent shooting by Vebjoern Berg but not enough to peg back Sergei Martynov.

My question is, does anyone know what ammo Sergei uses? In footage it's just an unmarked orange box. And none of the leading manufactures are claiming bragging rights that he used their ammo to win.

Maybe someone on the international circut knows?

Thanks
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

Sergei Martynov has historically used Olymp. They have an orange box that slides out of a black box, like the old Federal boxes or the brand new Eley. I haven't watched the video, but that is what I'd guess he is using.

Eric U
GTFS

Post by GTFS »

Hi Environs,
Eric U is right. According to the Eley website Sergei Martynov used Olymp Pistol to win the 50 meter Rifle Prone World Champs this year. dont know what he used to win at the world cup final as eley has not updated their site yet. You can find ammo line counts on the Eley site from most major comps.

I am thinking 10 what are you thinking??

Glen Turner.
Dave IRL

Post by Dave IRL »

Interestingly, the Eley site has Vebjoern Berg down as using Eley Team for his silver medal in the prone match in the WCF. That doesn't seem right. Anyone who was there want to comment? It's not like he doesn't have access to anything else.
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

While I wasn't at WCF this year (back surgery) it doesn't surprise me too much that top level shooters might end up shooting Team. Tenex, Black, and Team all come off the same line at Eley. They are then sorted by what shoots good in the factory test barrels. We all know that what shoots good in my gun may not shoot well in another. Berg's use of Team is just proof of that. Plus, it is much less expensive than Black or Tenex

As a side note, many great rimfire benchrest shooters in the US use Team, when they can get it. SOMETIMES it gives better performance in their rifle than the more expensive stuff. It is all about what tests best in your setup.

Eric U
justadude

Post by justadude »

Eric U said
Berg's use of Team is just proof of that. Plus, it is much less expensive than Black or Tenex
I am going to challenge Eric a bit on the definition of "much less expensive" I am budgeting for an ammo buy right now so I am somewhat on top of this. If you buy in brick quantities from Champion Shooters right now Tenex (red box) dials in at 36 cents per shot, Match (black box) at 24 cents a shot and Team (blue box) at 22 cents a shot.

The Tenex represents a 50% premium over Match while the Team is an 8% discount from Match. I know it is all perspective but the 2 cents per shot difference between Match and Team is almost in the noise. However the 12 cents between Tenex and Match, now that is pretty noticeable.

I only looked at one supplier so it may be other distributors give Team more of a break.

Just my random thoughts
Cheers,
'Dude

Post by Guest »

From memory Berg used Team to win the Prone WCF last year, and I think Silver at Milan as well. Eley listed his ammunition only as Eley rather than Tenex, and the blue box lid was clearly visible. In all three matches he shot 105+ finals, so he's clearly found at least one batch of team that shoots well in his rifle(s).

I did notice that he had swapped the standard Bleiker tube for a tuner/tube set-up.

Tim S
Taunton UK
talladega

Post by talladega »

justadude wrote:Eric U said
Berg's use of Team is just proof of that. Plus, it is much less expensive than Black or Tenex
I am going to challenge Eric a bit on the definition of "much less expensive" I am budgeting for an ammo buy right now so I am somewhat on top of this. If you buy in brick quantities from Champion Shooters right now Tenex (red box) dials in at 36 cents per shot, Match (black box) at 24 cents a shot and Team (blue box) at 22 cents a shot.

The Tenex represents a 50% premium over Match while the Team is an 8% discount from Match. I know it is all perspective but the 2 cents per shot difference between Match and Team is almost in the noise. However the 12 cents between Tenex and Match, now that is pretty noticeable.

I only looked at one supplier so it may be other distributors give Team more of a break.

Just my random thoughts
Cheers,
'Dude
I think most people buy a case4 (5000) or more at a time. That 8% turns into a pretty good difference when you are buying a couple cases of ammo. Plus when you buy a case you get a discount compared to a brick.
justadude

Post by justadude »

5000 or more at a time, no arguments there. I would expect the percent differences would still scale. Assume Team vs Match, if Match is running $1000 per case I will get almost another brick or a total 5434 rounds of Team.

Now, looking at the Match vs Tenex, I get 7500 rounds of Match for the same money that gets 5000 rounds of Tenex.

I am messing with all the math right now. The odd thing is that I have some 17 year old Eley Practice 100 (200 rounds left) that honestly shoots great through my 3P gun and OK through my prone gun. A few years back I regularly shot 1160+ scores indoor with the stuff. Since Target is supposed to replace Practice 100 wouldn't that be great to get a tremendous lot of Target!!!! I am not expecting lighting to strike twice.

At my present usage rate a case will last me about a year so that 400 rounds difference between Match and Team (assuming case quantities) is minimal. If it was back in my glory days when I would go through 3-4 cases a year then you are very correct: a much bigger deal.

'Dude