Loosen the action screws for storage

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

22big

Loosen the action screws for storage

Post by 22big »

May I have you share an opinion on a proper way to store a match rifle, loosen the action screws or not?

Assuming you have a favorite action stock torque tension, do you keep your rifle assembled at the all time or loosen the action screws until shooting?

Thank you.
Guest_66

Post by Guest_66 »

I use to let them be the way they are, and then just re-tighten them when it's time to shoot again. That is for both alu and wooden stocks. That has worked just fine for me.
I know some people loosen the action screws for a non-tension reason (wooden stocks), but then you will have a risk of the stock getting affected by different humidity etc. I know at least one rifle that stopped shooting after having the action and stock separated for a couple of months.
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

I almost never torque my rifle. Maybe once ever 6 months or so. It is pillar bedded and I just leave it torqued all the time.

On Anschutz 14,16,18, and 19 series actions, the front of the action is annealed to help with the press-in barrels. This makes it "relatively" easy to strip out the front action screw threads if you constantly loosen and torque it. Mine did that, and I know first-hand of at least 6 others.

If you are worried about compressing a plain wood stock, get your rifle pillar bedded.

Eric U
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Add me to the list of one that stripped the front screw hole on a 14 series action by too much loosening-tightening etc. (before every match and practice).
Leo

Post by Leo »

Ouch... great post -- I've been adjusting the tension off my 1907 after every session... full stop... I'll follow Eric's advice 6m... thanks! :)
Albert B

torque

Post by Albert B »

I still shoot the 'old' Walther GX-1 (standerd factory stock, no pillar bedding). I torque before every match, but never had any problems with the screwthreads.

Albert B
(The Netherlands)