Natural shakes/wobbles

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Konrad

Natural shakes/wobbles

Post by Konrad »

Hi there
I started pistol shooting this year and really enjoy it. I have quite bad shakes though, a hereditary curse. My hands have quite visible tremors all the time. My shooting at 25 meters was embarrassing at the start because sometimes I would shake so much I couldn't hit the darn target. My scores have increased as I've learnt more about technique, and I hope this continues. I accept I'll never be a brain surgeon but I would welcome any advice about how to contain/reduce my shakes and any stories from others with a similar problem. :-) Keep in mind that these shakes are way worse than the little shakiness lots of people seem to have. I enjoy the gym and was also wondering whether holding a heavy weight in the shooting position would assist in building some muscle stability in the right places.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I would avoid using a heavy weight like that, but a light weight (slightly more than pistol weight) with lots of reps. might help but if you have a neuro-muscluar condition that causes the tremors there probably only so much that you can do to reduce it. Have you actually seen a doctor about this? A physiotherapist or occupational therapist might also be a good place to get some professional advice.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Funny you should mention brain surgeons....

I sold an air pistol to one, and while chatting he told me one of the tricks of the trade was to have a shot or two of vodka before an operation to reduce essential tremor.

How this would apply to your situation I am reluctant to speculate.
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

Richard H wrote:I would avoid using a heavy weight like that, but a light weight (slightly more than pistol weight) with lots of reps. might help but if you have a neuro-muscluar condition that causes the tremors there probably only so much that you can do to reduce it. Have you actually seen a doctor about this? A physiotherapist or occupational therapist might also be a good place to get some professional advice.
Thanks, yes I have seen a Dr. It's just a not uncommon case of the shakes. I have beta blockers but obviously would rather learn to shoot without them. I'll incorporate some light reps into my shoulder routine.
luftskytter-

Post by luftskytter- »

No solution, but maybe some comfort.
There's a very good AG shooter that I know who has had serious am/shoulder problems after an injury. But I've seen him shoot rather good scores (way better than me hough I consider myself strong and steady) while shaking really badly. So it seems possible to produce good results inspite of shakes that would seem to make this impossible.

My experience also tells me that steadiness is a skill that will improve with shooting. Not strength training, but plain "ability" to hold your hand still.
I'm in no doubt that various activities that require a steady hold has helped me improve this skill. I also see that I shoot more accurately when I try not to worry and accept whatever movement there is.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Also just like everyone else you too will get gains from learning to actually focus on the front sight and then learning a nice smooth trigger release.

Remember your shakes that look like a lot of movement probably are really only a few millimeters, so as long as the sights are perfectly aligned the shake will only account for a few millimeters at the target. Now if the sights are not aligned you get angular error which will put the shoots way out there.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Exercises with core stability and that isolate are better for control. I mean light weights and move the shoulder blades only. Then move the arm without moving the shoulder blade. See your physical therapist to get the real story. Stott-Pilates system is my favorite.
ldevedia

Natural shakes

Post by ldevedia »

Your message drew my attention because I think I had a very similar problem shooting right hand. I have always been (or believed I was) rigth handed. The problem was that I always had to fight against a lack of control of my rigth hand when writing or when shooting (For example, written exams at high school or university were a torture for me). One day I decided to try shooting left handed and although I felt uncofortable at the beginning I noticed that my shaking problem was not present. From that day on I have not only solved my shooting problems but also I became left handed fo wrinting without any of the old problems. What I think is remarkable about this story is that it happened to me at 62. I am now almost 70 and continue happily shooting and writing with my left hand. Might not this be the case with you? (I mean the shake not the age!!)
aerofish

Post by aerofish »

Just keep shooting with deliberation. Develop a solid pre-shot routine and know your hold limit. If you are beyond your hold limit just break it down breathe deep stare off w/o focusing to rest your eyes and start the routine over. Its really a mind over matter thing. Get to know the limit of your body and work your routine within that framework CONSISTENTLY and repetitively. Your sessions will have an upward curve in results, be aware when you have passed the peak and call it for that session. Less is more! Oh 3 very important caveats; no caffeine and excessive sugar prior to shooting. Even those with steady hands will shake. And the most important is HAVE FUN!
mawibri

shakin stevens

Post by mawibri »

I had the same issue but it does go away slowly eventually after about 6 months......

Anticipating the shot also tends to produce the shakes after I have already steadied in the sight area so I think trigger anticipation is to be avoided too...
Clintw

Shakes

Post by Clintw »

I prefer to use iron sights as the shake is less noticeable. With a red dot, I really have to concentrate on trigger control and accept that my dot is going from end to end of the scoring rings.

I also find a long roll or creepy trigger like on a Ruger MKII is better for me as the shake seems to decrease as I'm doing something like moving the trigger. I haven't found a similar trigger on centerfire pistols though.

If I wait too long between breathing then my shake increases like everyones. So I try and adjust my held breath to coincide with when I settle on target.

Adrenaline and mental stress increases tremor so I try and keep a routine to keep me comfortably busy.

Clint