Sudden score drop

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
zarathustra

Sudden score drop

Post by zarathustra »

Hi all!

I started shooting 7 months ago and until last month I was shooting 550s (sport pistol - centerfire). I decided to increase my training in order to improve my score. 3 days gym/3 days shooting. Sunday off.

For stability improvement (consequently score), I started doing more physical training for my shoulders, back, legs, etc. Nothing heavy though. But my score dropped to 540s now... Ive been doing 540s for 3 weeks now. Precision stages didnt suffer a lot, but my rapid fire stages which were my strong point (93-95 average), dropped to 89-90.

Anybody knows what might be wrong?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

When you say your scores are lower do you mean that you are shooting more nines with slightly larger groups or are your groups staying in the 9 ring or better with an occasional fliers? Lower scores can be caused by a variety of problems including lack of mental focus but you have to both know what you are doing right when you are shooting a ten and what is going wrong when you are not. I know that sometimes people are using two totally different techniques shooting slow fire almost like a free pistol match and then in the duel you might be inclined to start jerking the trigger if you have gotten in the habit of holding the gun up to long during the precision phase but if you get too careful in duel and don't have a smooth lift and smooth quick trigger pull it can cause problems like fliers when you jerk the trigger to get the shot off before the target turns back
zarathustra

Post by zarathustra »

Hi Isabell1130,

I started to shoot more tens (as im trying to use Lanny´s Bassham Mental Management system), but I started to have problems with trigger control though.

Today I had 10 shot strings like 5 tens, 3 nines and TWO SEVENS!

Same deal in duel. In a five shot string I would have, 3 tens and TWO SIXES! And so on...
Packard

Post by Packard »

Are you over-training in you physical training regimen? Are your muscles achy? Are you having difficulty sleeping? These are indications of over-training.

You might benefit from a period of reduced training while your body catches up with your training.

If you think it might be an over-training issue, then try taking one week off from working out (you can still shoot) and take two weeks of reduced workouts before resuming your regular workout program.

Also be wary of any energy drinks as these contain some powerful stimulants that might affect hand steadiness.
trinity

Post by trinity »

You were shooting well at the start of your shooting career because you weren't thinking about shooting 10s. You just shot to the best of your ability.

And now you are trying to shoot 10s. Don't try to shoot 10s. Just try to shoot good shots. Work hard on shooting good shots, see the good shot execution, remember how the sights look, how the trigger release felt.

If you keep working on improving how you shoot each shot, the rest will come.

Remember, the score is just one metric of how good a shot was. Work on improving the rest of the metrics given to you by your senses of how a shot was.

-trinity
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Bingo!!!!
zarathustra

Post by zarathustra »

Hi Trinity,

I guess you are right. Im trying too hard to get a ten. I probably see the sights more steady and force the shot, causing trigger jerk.

Oh well, I might just relax and enjoy shooting :)
Heba

Post by Heba »

I do agree ...don't count ur tens and most important don't count ur bad shots too. Every time u r tempted to count ur group tell urself the steps of a perfect shot & imagine it in ur mind and happily u can score a ten in ur mind too! Shooting is all about performance and not results because as time goes on, u may have days when u are totally satisfied with ur shooting but the reflection is not that good on the target, u may have learned on this day a specific step that u wanted to concentrate on until u catch up with the rest of the basics.
It is very important too to manage ur training curves along with the competitions u r working on, u can have more load on physical training and gym exercises at the beginning of the season and manage with ur coach how ur curve will move up and down until u reach the peak of ur performance on the desired match.
Hope this helps!
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Heba you should get your "Y" "O" keys looked at they seem not to work when followed by a "U".
Heba

Post by Heba »

Richard, I am abbreviating them, this is how most people type when they are chatting to save time. So "u" means "you" and "ur" means "your" and "r" means "are" and "btw" means "by the way".
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I know what they are, they makes sense for texting or tweeting when you have a limited number of characters, but in a long forum posts they don't really make any sense at all. You must have saved about 40 keystrokes out of approx. 600.
Heba

Post by Heba »

As far as I know, this forum is shooting related, not language or typing related. There is no need to criticize others for their level of language when u have a lot to mention about the listed topic. Going beyond the text to the content is what this forum is all about. Moreover, in a multinational forum like this one, using sense of humor is not well understood by all nations the same way. Some of these comments may look offensive without being noticed from the sender.

I truly appreciate ur shooting comments. please keep them up ;)
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Richard H wrote:I know what they are, they makes sense for texting or tweeting when you have a limited number of characters, but in a long forum posts they don't really make any sense at all. You must have saved about 40 keystrokes out of approx. 600.
I think what Richard is saying is that it makes it harder for people to read, especially those that dislike, or don't understand txt speak. If you would rather not type words properly, then don't be too suprised if people would rather not reply.

Rob.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Well put Mr. Stubbs.
zarathustra

Post by zarathustra »

Thanks a lot for the replies, specially for the language ones. Ill make sure that I never "txt" in forums.... lolololol =)
luftskytter-

Post by luftskytter- »

Sometimes I think that my keyboard typos (the physical ones, not spelling mistakes!) are related to my shooting errors. Precise and fast finger work, except I can't use the backspace key when shooting!

I just think that a good and fast typist also may turn out to be a shooting talent as well. And typing at a speed just slow enough not to need the backspace may be good basic exercise for things lik eshooting (I left this last one for you to ponder: hitting e after spacebar; is it related to twitchy triggerwork?).
Bullseye 1

Post by Bullseye 1 »

Why do I feel some toughness in your replies, there is no need to make big deal of typos or text abbreviations. Why don't we all concentrate on the air pistol questions here?
I agree the objective of this forum is shooting, keeping all negative comments aside, let's make it a welcoming place for all to comment and not fear being underestimated or rejected.
Ken
luftskytter-

Post by luftskytter- »

Hope the toughness isn't mine?
My typo observation was just that:
an observation of eye-hand coordination, and myself as a sometimes bad example where I think bad scores and typos may be related. And on a good day, hopefully vice versa :-)
Van Der Krut

Post by Van Der Krut »

Yes there is some aggressiveness in responding. Luftskyter, is not yours by the way. I don't see a reason why should a positive thinker like us shooters respond negatively on others. What did Heba say to get this sarcasm? Did he/she annoy u that much to leave the main issue and go off topic? Come on gents have some friendly spirit!
Van Der Krut

Post by Van Der Krut »

Ooooops I used "u" not "you" as he/she did!!!!! Hope you don't come up on me too