Shooting the back of the target at 7 m

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Dev

Post by Dev »

A few days ago, I decided to practice shooting at the back of the target. My goal was to ensure that I squeeze the trigger without hesitation and do this as I lower the pistol. The day before this I had shot aimed groups of ten per card and my score hovered around 89%, after a hundred pellets.

I thought that I was hesitating and so began shooting ten shot groups at the back of the first target. The first targets group spread across the lower nine (six o clock) in a horizontal line.

Then I shot another group. Somewhere along the line I started to try and put my shots as close as I could to the first pellet. I shot about 11 cards of ten. Now here is what made me grin, when I turned the target around atleast seven cards all had the pellets within the nine and ten ring.

I know that this isn't the purpose of the exercise but I got such a rush that I went running down to show the little woman. She laughed and said that you are such a rebel...maybe this is how you should shoot at the competition.

Jokes aside I am sure that the smaller groups were because of the shorter distance and because the back of the target makes it easier to concentrate on an aiming point. Should the exercise have been done with me ignoring a specific aiming mark? Does this exercise help with the trigger execution and groups?

Please feel free to what I should also do more of. Have a match to qualify for the nationals on the 17th of October.

Hope that all of you are shooting like Gods incarnate :-).

Dev
luftskytter-

Post by luftskytter- »

I've tried it too when training, and on bad days I've shot higher scores from the back of the target (AP 10 metre noraml target). Should have done it in our club competition last night: my shooting was rather unstable so I might have gained some points....
gn303

Post by gn303 »

Shooting at the back of the target is what I always start my training with. The number of pellets/bullets depends on the ease of delivering a perfect release.
I think is a very valid training options, for air pistol or 25 m disciplines.
I have not tried it for free pistol, maybe I should?
Regards,

Guy
Heba

Post by Heba »

I start my warming up with this back target too. I believe it helps in concentrating on sights and trigger pulling rather than aiming area....it is also very useful when shooting is not stable in bad days.
Best results are when having all shots in one place, even if not in center (then u will have to review posture). when shooting is in vertical line, then this indicate that most mistakes are eliminated (concentrate on posture, eye-sights relation ship, little finger pressing).