Grip carving

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Packard

Grip carving

Post by Packard »

My IZH46M arrived this afternoon. Not surprisingly the grip it too large for my hands.

I have a horrific cold so everytime I breathed deep prior to getting my sight picture I would cough, so shooting will have to be put off for a few days. I have not been able to even get off a single shot. I worked on my stance for a short while and the gun settles down nicely. I do need to get a pair of shooting glasses. Do they still make the stick-on apertures for conventional glasses? Where do I get them?

My questions are:

1. When do I start to carve the grips? Immediately? After 60 shots? Two or three weeks later?

2. Where do I start carving? (The thumb groove is bothering me the most.)

3. The trigger reach is too long so I know that I need to take something off the back-strap, but the grip around is a bit too large too--how do I know if I should take off from the front strap or the sides?

Not being able to shoot right now is very frustrating. Hopefully I will by this weekend.

Regards,

Packard
sbtzc

Post by sbtzc »

My advice (free and only worth the cost)

1. Get over your cold.

2. 'Play' with your new 'toy'. Hold it, feel it, dry-fire it, become 'one' with it, etc.

3. After getting over your cold, dry-fire it and shoot it. Dry-fire it. Shoot it. And repeat. Oh, and dry-fire it. Did I mention that you should dry-fire it?

4. Make notes about where the red spots on your hand are and the major annoyances.

5. After a lot of pellets, and a whole lot more dry-fires and lots of notes, a light will come on in your mind and you will know where to remove wood.

Start small, check often, subtle changes are surprisingly big.
zoned

Re: Grip carving

Post by zoned »

Packard wrote:.... the grip it too large for my hands.... Do they still make the stick-on apertures for conventional glasses?...
Do not mess with the grip until you have shot the AP enough to clearly define 'pain' points. Then, just spot grind. One adjustment will usually lead to another until you acquire a comfortable and stabile hold. It cannot be accomplished quickly. The grip's voids in support will become apparent, too. As with the pressure points, work just a small area at a time building up plastic or wood putty. Shoot, adjust, and repeat as necessary. It may take a couple of tins of pellets, or more, to get the grip sorted out.

Merit adjustable aperture:
http://meritcorporation.com
A74BEDLM

Post by A74BEDLM »

Slightly on topic.

Is it ok to shoot ISSF matches with Blu-Tac on your grip?
I'd like to test it under dynamic conditions before making some adjustments.