Adjusting Canting arms vs. Grip adjustment

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Heba

Adjusting Canting arms vs. Grip adjustment

Post by Heba »

Is it better to work on adjusting the canting in arms (when arm is tilted right or left) or to adjust the grip accordingly? I used to adjust the grip and it was ok, but now my new coach needs me to train while focusing on adjusting my elbow and wrest. What do u think?
yana

Post by yana »

Imo I'd say train on the arms indeed. Adj the grips doesnt solve the problem.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I think there are a few factors that need to be considered, such as how much cant, is the cant consistent, why do you cant (is there a bio-mechanical reason for it), how long have you been shooting.

1. If the cant is minimal (few degress or so), consistent, and have been shooting for a long time. I would tend to adjust it with the grip

2. If you have lots of cant, and it's inconsistent, I would first try to see if there is a bio-mechanical reason for it, Ie muscle, joint or flexibility issues that is causing the cant. You don't want to be trying to force something that could cause damage to the athlete. If there is no physical reason then I'd work on fixing the cant to at least get it to the situation described in #1.

3. As for the amount of time shooting, changing a physical trait like amount of cant for a long time shooter (who's not having a problem related to amount of cant), might not be worth it as opposed to starting a new shooter out and correcting it before it becomes a bad habit.
jackh

Post by jackh »

If cant comes from the shoulder or some type of slouch position, I think you will find better arm support in a more erect position.
lastman

Post by lastman »

There are a lot of factors to consider regarding canting as Richard mentioned.

However there is only 1 factor that you need to consider. Your coach has told you what to work on, he/she is the person who is best qualified to give you advice on what to do here.

Do what your told and don't worry about it. If the problem persists keep working with you coach to get rid of it.

Good luck
apple

Post by apple »

in match , the gun is adjust for your suit. That match pistol manufacture made grip adjustable. Just setting your grip so the pistol doesn't canting anymore.
zoned

Re: Adjusting Canting arms vs. Grip adjustment

Post by zoned »

Heba wrote:Is it better to work on adjusting the canting in arms (when arm is tilted right or left) or to adjust the grip accordingly?....
Does it really matter?

Richard H

Post by Richard H »

It really sucks that one eight sitting out there.