beginners training strategy

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Packard

beginners training strategy

Post by Packard »

I just ordered an IZH 46M and it should arrive on Wednesday or Thursday of this week.

I am an experienced pistol shooter (but not airgun shooter), mostly with a target grade Government Model 1911 .45 caliber (Gold Cup).

The airgun was ordered so I can get some midweek practice in on a basement range.

I've cleared an alley of 33 feet (I will have to shoot over my table saw, but that should not be an issue).

I primarily shoot in the Weaver stance (2 hand hold) so the one hand hold will require a learning process.

Should I start at 33 feet and work out the learning process, or should I start at a closer range?

Regards,

Packard
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I can't think of any sensible reason for you to start at a shorter distance.

The only time I think it would make sense would be for a newcomer, probably junior, to the sport.

Not knowing what they are doing and maybe not have the ability to hold the pistol properly, it makes sense to put them closer to the pellet catcher / back stop. Fewer holes to patch and re-paint.

It doesn't sound like you would have those problems.
Packard

Post by Packard »

I can't imagine I will miss the target entirely. I ordered the Champion HD metal trap and I will back it up with a 2' x 2' x 3/4" plywood board.

I am looking forward to this. I think an extra 50 to 100 rounds per week will improve my shooting.

Regards,

Packard
Rover

Post by Rover »

Start at 33', as long as you can keep the shots on the paper.

You are not really even competitive at the lowest level unless you can keep them all in the black. Scores over 550 and you'll well on your way to Master (AA) class.

Most shooters of this type use a hold just below the black (sub six), but for your intended purpose you should probably use a center hold unless you're training for Bullseye shooting.
Packard

Post by Packard »

Rover wrote:Start at 33', as long as you can keep the shots on the paper.

You are not really even competitive at the lowest level unless you can keep them all in the black. Scores over 550 and you'll well on your way to Master (AA) class.

Most shooters of this type use a hold just below the black (sub six), but for your intended purpose you should probably use a center hold unless you're training for Bullseye shooting.
I was on the rifle team in high school and we were always taught to use the sub 6 hold, and I've stuck with it for all my shooting. I will use it with this airgun also.

How many shots to get your score?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Packard wrote:How many shots to get your score?

Post by Guest »

Packard wrote:
Rover wrote:

?
Use the hold you are most comfortable and familiar with. There is no such thing as "most" shooters when it comes to hold.
Packard

Post by Packard »

Anonymous wrote:
Packard wrote:
Rover wrote:

?
Use the hold you are most comfortable and familiar with. There is no such thing as "most" shooters when it comes to hold.
"Most" is a pretty specific term. I think if we took a poll of shooters here we would come up with a "most".
luftskytter-

Post by luftskytter- »

Why worry?

"Most" AP shooters worldwide (!) use the sub six hold, and that's what they teach everywhere. If you're comfortable with this, just do it.

Distance? Novices with no shooting experience start at 10 metres (33 feet) in our club. No choice at our range, and they mostly hit the paper. Soon they advance and hit the black most of the time. If you're worried, just try a shorter range at first, but you're and old hand, so this'll work just fine. In my experience a shooting background is a shooting background an gives you a head start no matter what the weapon.

My only worry is that the Izzy 46m is a bit heavy, so don't overdo it. Take it easy and allow for enough time to build up the needed strength if necessary. Listen to your body.

Have fun!

Post by Guest »

43 years of heavy weight lifting should help. I know it helps with shooting the .45.

Thanks for all the replies.

Regards,

Packard