Suggestions for an entry lever AR to be used by a lefty

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

saltydog

Suggestions for an entry lever AR to be used by a lefty

Post by saltydog »

Air Rifle rookie is looking for suggestions.

My granddaughter is the newest member on her Jr. ROTC Rifle Team. She is also left side dominant.

I don't know enough about ARs, or being left handed to have much of an opinion.

Hopefully, there are a few left hand/eye dominant competitors who can point me toward entry level equipment suitable for a lefty.

Your comments appreciated.

Thanks,

salty
frog5215

Post by frog5215 »

Never laid eyes on one, but the entry guns from Walther have, I believe reversible bolts , the LG30, and the Walther produced Hammerli AR20 claims to be ambi. Sights could bear upgrading, but the list price is under $900.
I believe FWB has an ambi or LH convertible entry level gun for about $1250, like the Walther LG30. The FWBs can be had with steel shrouds for weight or aluminum for lightness.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Salty ...

Your first question should be if she is shooting Sporter or Precision in JROTC.
Sporter rifles are ambidextrous in their stocks, but there are very few that are LH cocking.
saltydog452

Post by saltydog452 »

I flat do not know.

I suspect that there isn't enough public support for multiple classifications in the shooting sports. If so, the rifles would, most probabally, be the least expensive to buy and maintain.

Her Dad had a Daisy/ElGamo 126 to fool around with at home. He cut lots of lawns to pay for that Daisy. I matched his savings.

Grand-daughter wants her Dad's 126, but I fear that replacement seals for the Daisy are kinda scarce.

This Forum sponsor is looking into it and has agreed to do the work if parts can be found.

At this point, the FWB is looking pretty good.

salty
peterz

Post by peterz »

An FWB 300s in the Junior size, would do exactly right.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

saltydog452 wrote:I flat do not know.

I suspect that there isn't enough public support for multiple classifications in the shooting sports. If so, the rifles would, most probabally, be the least expensive to buy and maintain.
The 3-Position air rifle that JROTC shoots is divided into two categories ... sporter & precision.
Most JROTC programs start their new shooters in Sporter.

Sporter guns have a maximum cost of $525 and are VERY strictly regulated in terms of the manufacturers and model numbers allowed. The Precision (Olympic style) pretty much have no limit .... they usually start at about $2K.

Call your granddaughter and ask ... my bet is she is shooting a sporter
Ask if she is shooting in jeans & sweatshirt (sporter) or heavy jacket & pants (precision)
saltydog452

Post by saltydog452 »

She is testing the waters and would like to use her Dad's 126 and the pellet trap at home.

Issue equipment is just that. For competition to be competitive, there must be a level playing field and standardized equipment.

Maybe I can get the Daisy fixed...don't know. Then there is the option of buying a 300.

There is no doubt that she'd MUCH rather have the expenses associated with competitive equipment and accesseries funneled into an automobile fund.

Thanks,

salty
saltydog452

Post by saltydog452 »

Thanks for the replys.

Son has had to leave on TDY. 'Net access can get kinda questionable. Physical custody and sweat equity investment is his. I have to pass decisions back to Son and Grand-Daughter.

If you have any suggestions, plz reply via e-mail and I'll fwd them to his e-mail address.

I don't know how to fwd forum msgs, but, hopefully, I can get your responses to Son/Grand-Daughter via e-mail.

I appreciate your courtesy.

Thanks,

Jerry
peterz

Post by peterz »

At least in Europe Steyr sells a nice, fairly simple, precision rifle for about 1000 Euros (German price with tax included). Don't know if it's available here. I'm sure it will shoot 10s, but not sure how durable it will be, nor how adjustable.
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

If she would be shooting sporter class, the Airforce Edge can be changed to left hand cocking.
silentfury214

Post by silentfury214 »

yes, but the edge isn't really good (and pricey). just go for an avanti rifle (from $300-$400). I am a lefty as well and those rifle work really well.