Place of the rear sight

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
gn303

Place of the rear sight

Post by gn303 »

I'm surprised to see how much the rear sight has moved back on the latest sport pistols.
As and example I attach a picture of the Walther GSP and their latest SSP model. In the earlier models the rear sight was located before the wrist. Other manufactures build their guns the same way, though the AW-93 and P08 are different.
I would think that when the rear sight is before the wrist, it is easier to control. When it is behind the wrist it will turn with the wrist as an axis point. Which results in a more important error.
I have shot Walther GSP for a long time with very fair results and was always able to call my shots with precision. I'm shooting Tesro now and I find it more difficult to call the shot as I did before. So my own experience would seem to prove my argument. But there sure is a reason that almost all competition gun makers follow the same tendency.
Guy
Attachments
Walthers.JPG
Walthers.JPG (13.3 KiB) Viewed 1265 times
Gort

Post by Gort »

Guy, ISSF rules limit sight radius to 220MM. Given that the wrist is a pivot point (amongst others). The closer the rear is to the pivot, the farther the front sight is away. I think if the front and rear were both 110mm from the wrist pivot is may be even better. Moving the Walther SSP sight as far to the rear that will still fit in the "box" is a evolution in ergonomics. My experience is the converse of yours. I find the sight location on the MG2 and SSP to minimize alignment errors.
Gort
lastman

Post by lastman »

There is also the issue of angular errors with the front sight.

The closer the front sights is to the axis point means that angular errors will be reduced.