World Class Laser Pointer

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mike Tagen

World Class Laser Pointer

Post by Mike Tagen »

I'm a new shooter just joined the sports and got a pistol. But after reading some post about the pentathlon using laser pistols, I think I made a mistake, should have bought a laser pen.

In the near future are some of us going to be Olympic level laser shooters? I suppose it will invite more countries to join and accommodate more speculators but if no one wants to watch paper punching why would people want to watch laser pointing, much less join?

When the pentathlon people gets this laser thing right and make it work, then people will follow. Next thing you know shot gun people will be firing blanks at flying laser receptors. Who is next archery, fencing? Where does it stop?

I want to open the discussion again and get everyone's opinion on this subject, I don't want to invest my time and money so my son can invite me to laser tag and tell his friend his dad is the best laser shooter.

MT
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Hahahaha! Funny guy.

I wouldn't really worry about it because I doubt you'll be shooting at an elite level any time soon, so like the vast majority you'll still be able to shoot your air pistol with pellets. Even if your local organizers follow suit with the ISSF (which is doubtful simply due to cost alone) there would be nothing to stop you from organizing your own matches.

Are the other two threads on this subject not enough for you?

Personally I think in the not too distant future the Olympics will become the X-games. If there is shooting at all I doubt it will resemble anything we do now.

As to the question where does it stop? It never stops if it did we'd be throwing stones and sticks and eating raw meat. Things change that is a fact, the other fact is people resist almost any change.
Last edited by Richard H on Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

I agree with above post.

If laser guns become the future medium of Olympic competition, so be it for Olympic competition.

I remember there was a Chinese interview of their top female shooter, a 25M pistol champion, whether she is worry about the future laser gun medium. She just smile, and said, "When you are good, you are good. Laser or no laser."

When you are good, you are good.
mapletune

Post by mapletune »

I hope not.

While it's true things will keep moving forwards, I still see shot put, discus, hammer, javelin throw, etc.. at the summer Olympics.

In theory, you could play table tennis, or any other sport for that matter, with the Nintendo Wii. Or have cycling athletes ride stationary bikes with digital readouts. Why have them ride 40km out where spectators can't see them?

What I mean is that shooting, like other sports, is too complex to "digitalize"

Are you really going to have computer generate realistic wind patterns and have athletes read that from a display?

Of course, there are many other factors. I'm not trying to make a definite argument for or against at this moment. Just voicing my doubt.

I guess the Pentathlon committee feels that their discipline shouldn't be as complicated as shooting. They want to promote their sport with focus on athleticism instead of precision. Run, control your body enough to shoot, run again, etc.