Dumb question but, pronunciation?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Csizzle

Dumb question but, pronunciation?

Post by Csizzle »

This is kind of embarrassing, but I figure it's better to humiliate myself on here rather than in person when speaking about it.

I'm was curious about the pronunciation on several shooting related brands, the ones that come to mind at the moment are Anschutz, Feinwerkbau, and the ammunition Eley.

Feel free to add in others that I can't think of right now.

Thank you.
Richard H

Re: Dumb question but, pronunciation?

Post by Richard H »

Csizzle wrote:This is kind of embarrassing, but I figure it's better to humiliate myself on here rather than in person when speaking about it.

I'm was curious about the pronunciation on several shooting related brands, the ones that come to mind at the moment are Anschutz, Feinwerkbau, and the ammunition Eley.

Feel free to add in others that I can't think of right now.

Thank you.
On shut z some say On shoot z

E lee
Csizzle

Post by Csizzle »

Thanks for the response.

For Anschutz are one of those correct? Or does it just vary between people?

Was pronouncing Eley right, thankfully.
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

I think names like Feinwerbau and Anschutz would tend to have pronunciations that would differ as to region. I have heard them as Richard says, and in my part of the world, Anschutz is pronounced (Ann shoots) and Feinwerkbau is pronounced (fine work bow), or (fine verk bow) by those that are, or are trying to be German. I have never heard Eley pronounced any other way than how Richard said, but I have seen it spelled several different ways. I think Richards' pronunciation of Anschutz is probably the correct one, or how it would be spoken in German.

Post by Guest »

German 'w' is hard, hence Feinwerkbau = fine vairk bow. Bow rhymes with 'how', not 'low'. First syllable stressed.

The second syllable in Anschutz is something between 'shoots' and 'shuts'.

The first syllable of Eley is stressed.

Oh, and it's Aluminium, with the third syllable stressed, not aloominum!

Now, can anyone tell me what the heck to do about Russian Cyrillic text and Polish pronunciation?
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Forget Russian and Polish, Norwegian & Finish are even worse.

Stick to FWB its easier. There are guys in the US with Anschutz as their surname, how do they pronounce it?
When i was in Germany the Germans use a short 'U' Schutz rather than a long 'U' Schootz. What the heck, we all know what we mean.

Post by Guest »

Finnish isn't a language - it's a neurological condition!
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

I've always heard it pronounced "on should-minus the d, plus the tz"
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

For me anschutz is either

on - shoots

OR

an shutz.

feinwerkbau is

fine work bow (as in bow of a ship not bow as in bow and arrow)

OR

FWB
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

Lapua is another weird one

I always pernounce it La poo a, But I believe the correct pronounciation is La pwa.

Sako I have always said Sai ko, but I believe it is actually sock o.

Leupold - some people say Lee a pold but it is again actually loo pold.
toznerd

Post by toznerd »

You can't really mispronounce any of those, as long as you put the correct accent on the dollar sign!

toznerd

Post by Guest »

Here is the man pronouncing his name.
The master maker. Dieter Anschutz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swlf1QbvQuw

Ter
2650 Plus

Pronunciation

Post by 2650 Plus »

The fine old German company calls it Fine Verk Bau Good Shooting Bill Horton
Jijo

Post by Jijo »

toznerd wrote:You can't really mispronounce any of those, as long as you put the correct accent on the dollar sign!

toznerd
And you wonder why the rest of the world think Americans are a bunch of a-holes with a mentality like that?

Fortunatly the Euro is coming on strong...
jsealc21

Post by jsealc21 »

Jijo wrote:
toznerd wrote:You can't really mispronounce any of those, as long as you put the correct accent on the dollar sign!

toznerd
And you wonder why the rest of the world think Americans are a bunch of a-holes with a mentality like that?

Not really,it's kinda going towards the toilet....please refer to Greece and Spain
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Jijo wrote:

toznerd

You felt the need to dig up a two year old thread for that nugget of wisdom, with a mentality like that you could join them.

Actually it will be interesting to see if the Euro survives at all, lots of unrest in the EU between the haves and the have nots. Its sucks when you can't control your own monetary policy to influence national issues.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

jhawk wrote:I think names like Feinwerbau and Anschutz would tend to have pronunciations that would differ as to region.
No, they don't. They are German names, thus pronounced German. And it's "Feinwerkbau" and "Anschütz".

Alexander

Post by Guest »

Personally, I'd already be happy if everyone managed to spell "Steyr" the correct way, not to start with Feinwerkbau... Hammerli is actually Hämmerli, btw.
peterz

Post by peterz »

Guest,

I can spell Anschuetz and Haemmerli properly. I would be happy if my computer had a simple shift to get umlauts on my letters, but it doesn't. So sometimes we in the US think that it looks a bit better w/o writing ae, oe or ue to indicate the umlaut. I think Google accepts any of the 3 variants. Don't you?
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Well, here goes with the umlaut...

Anschütz

Hämmerli

And now, the dopple S...

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Dave Wilson