Customs Duty

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
peterz

Customs Duty

Post by peterz »

Anybody know the US Customs duty on an air pistol imported from overseas using either the mails or a courier service such as DHL or FedEx?

To be sent from Germany.

Thanks!

--pz
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

I've had two import transactions with used AP/AR. First one I was hit with a $26 duty, second had none. I've had two cartridge firearms imported, and neither generated a duty. I'm not sure what the rules are, and you can be sure that the USPS person who hands you the package won't either (if shipped DHL the ultimate delivery is by USPS).

Try to find out from customs, and be sure to mention whether the item is new or used, as I think that is a factor.
FredB

Post by FredB »

TomAmlie wrote:I've had two import transactions with used AP/AR. First one I was hit with a $26 duty, second had none.
I was recently told by an importer that air rifles were subject to duty but air pistols were not - go figure. He also said that Customs does not always follow its own policies on this.

Was it the air rifle that was charged duty?

FredB
peterz

Post by peterz »

Do you suppose this is because the USA makes air rifles, but no air pistols?
Freepistol

Zippo

Post by Freepistol »

I imported a free pistol from Switzerland and paid no duty tax.
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

FredB wrote:
TomAmlie wrote:I've had two import transactions with used AP/AR. First one I was hit with a $26 duty, second had none.
I was recently told by an importer that air rifles were subject to duty but air pistols were not - go figure. He also said that Customs does not always follow its own policies on this.

Was it the air rifle that was charged duty?

FredB
Duty was charged on a FWB300 that was packaged in its original packaging, from the styrofoam to the outer cardboard...perhaps the customs people thought it was new. I later had an Anschutz 2002 and FWB65 that came in with no customs duty.
joker

Post by joker »

Not an answer to OPs question but this may be of interest to UK folks importing from USA to UK - I had a Crossman air pistol sent over to UK and it was held at UK Customs for 6 weeks for no apparent reason, then released with total charges of around 20%. Carriers were USPS and Royal Mail ParcelForce.
chuckjordan

US Customs charge is random

Post by chuckjordan »

For you chaps in the UK, any of these items that you import will get hit with VAT. I sent a nice scope to the UK and the chap had topay VAT.

I've imported a few AR/AP to the states (from the UK and Germany) and only paid Customs once. It's a roll of the dice if they want to charge you.
peterz

Post by peterz »

I am the OP.

Thanks all of you for the help!

--pz