coated pellets

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Donny

coated pellets

Post by Donny »

I need to buy more pellets but not sure what "Coated Pellets" are. What's the difference between coated and uncoated pellets and do coated pellets damage the air pistol in anyway?
ronpistolero

coated pellets

Post by ronpistolero »

Hi Donny,

I have just renewed my inquiry about the coated pellets under "cheap pellets". Oz has bought some 20 tins of this and I too am awaiting for his test group results.

Ron
yana

Post by yana »

Unless you mean brass coated(which I wouldnt use, they're kinda useless and increase barrelwear), coated usually means, greased/oiled, lubed.
It prevents rust, prevents fast barrel fouling. Increases speed slightly, can improve groupsizes.
ronpistolero

coated pellets

Post by ronpistolero »

Hi Yana,

Actually, I mean this: http://www.priceinsanity.com/servlet/th ... BBs%2FAmmo

or this one: http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/Beeman_17 ... _500ct/626

It's dark in color from what I see and it was jokingly referred to as "nuclear wastes" by another. At those cheap prices and they are accurate as well as not harmful to the barrel, I wouldn't mind using them for practice.

I hope some savvy researcher would be able to direct me to a link to find out more about these coated pellets.

Ron[/url]
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

I read somewhere that pellets are sometimes coated with graphite. This is good because it acts as a lubricant and delays oxidation, yet is non-toxic, not a greasy liquid or paste and will not diesel in spring-piston mechanisms
jipe

Post by jipe »

For match AP, almost all shooters uses either H&N or RWS or Vogel that really dominate the market.

Seen the price of those Beeman pellets, they are no match pellets.

FYI, on the same page, there are match pellets: http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/H_N_Final ... er_500ct/2 the price is not the same !
Rover

Post by Rover »

I note they are made in China and that the Chinese pellets have been very good or very bad.

I don't know what the coating is, but if the pellets are cheap (and these seem to be) test them!

When you're finished testing report your results back to us.
Oz

Post by Oz »

Well, here it is. I did a test with the ultra-inexpensive Beeman Coated Wadcutter pellets.

What I *didn't* like was how they felt compared to the every other non-coated pellet I've used. The coated pellets feel sharper and harder. Don't know if that's because of the quality or because of the coating. Maybe it was even subliminal. I dunno. They also don't go into the barrel as easily, I found myself having to push them in with a bit more force. I'm guessing that it was the skirt that's a little larger since the head is the 4.5 measurement and went in pretty easily.

Test results in my pistol; not too surprising. Similar to Hobby, but I'd give the Hobby the nod if I had to choose between the two. But... keep in mind, the Hobby pellets were about 2x more "expensive" as these Beeman bear hunting pellets ;-)

Oz

Post by Oz »

You know... I always feel obligated to say this after a pellet test, especially for pistol. I'm on board with Scott Pilkington's thoughts... the 10 ring is so relatively huge compared to the size of these groupings, the results/scores for 90% of us would be the same regardless of the pellets we use.

There is certainly a psychological element to knowing that you're using a pellet that gives you the absolute smallest grouping possible.

Now, if you shoot rifle... well, that's a completely different story.

Oz
Oz

Post by Oz »

BTW... no other pellet out there that I've seen/used has a picture of a bear on it. That's gotta be worth something right there.

RAWR!

Oz
Pelleter

Industry Brand Chinese 'black' coated pellets

Post by Pelleter »

Oz. my experiences are on par with yours: the cheap chinese Industrial Brand )IB) 'black' coated pellets are 'good value for the money'.
I just inspect every pellet, and sort out those wiith apparent defects. Those are noe many, but may occur in some tins.

I use IB coated pellets for most of my air pistol shooting.

I found this link:
http://www.airrifle-china.com/newEbiz1/ ... cd523e7434
Pelleter

GoOd performance from IHB hollow point pellet

Post by Pelleter »

I was surprized by the good performance of the Industry Brand black-coated hollow point pellet, even at extended ranges.
This pellets weights 7 grains (that is some 0,5 to 1 grain less than most similar pellets.
This pellets has a semiwadcutter-like 'cutting edge' that punches a relatively clean and (easily observable in scope at extended range) hole in the papertarget.

Link:
http://www.airrifle-china.com/newEbiz1/ ... rent=false
Rover

Post by Rover »

Good to see someone actually testing and reporting rather than rehashing conventional "wisdom".

I see no reason not to use those pellets, even though they grouped slightly larger than the best. They would certainly be competitive, and group as well as most guns shoot. Another gun, another story?

Good job!
ronpistolero

Coated Pellets

Post by ronpistolero »

Thanks for the link on the pellet source, Shanghai Air Guns. Looks like their spring piston pistol is a rip off of an old time FWB model.

Ron
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

Copy of FWB65. From internet reviews internal parts seem to be interchangeable between those two pistols but Chinese ones are not as hard and more prone to wear.
Oz

Chrony Results

Post by Oz »

Well, this was unexpected... I just got a chrony and ran pellets through a bunch of different stuff. I found that these Beeman Coated pellets are *significantly* slower than the hobby. They are even a bit slower than .53gm (8.2 grain) Vogel orange/green pellets. I verified this in 3 rifles and my LP10 pistol.

I assumed that this is because they are heavier... but I don't have a scale that accurate to check. I did a 100 group of pellets on a scale to check and they do seem to be similar in weight to the Vogel orange/green. But they are even slightly slower than the Vogel orange/green... if they aren't heavier than Vogel orange/green, they would have to either 1) not seal as well or 2) have more friction in the barrel most likely due to the 'coating'.

Oz