Reloading help

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
schatzperson

Reloading help

Post by schatzperson »

I'm just about to get into reloading and thought I should ask more experienced fellows some basic questions.
I was looking at the Hornady Lock-N-Load press; I will be using this mainly for .32 wadcutter, but will almost certainly be used for .45 ACP and 38 Special as well.
Does anyone here have a learned opinion about this press?

Is there a preferred load system or press for .32 S&W L WC ?

Does the diminutive powder charge present metering / consistency problems for this caliber ? Solutions ?

Thanks !
buonvento

Post by buonvento »

Buy a single stage press for .32 wadcutter and a Dillon for .38 and .45...
Ernie Rodriguez

Hornady L&L progressive press

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

I load for the 32 S&W WC and the only special advice I would suggest for you is to use the small pistol insert in the powder measure.After all you will be throwing less than 3grains of powder with this cartridge

Post by Guest »

I use a powder scoop for .32 as it throws only 1.3gr and I can't afford to load even one dud round for matches. The hand scoop works.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I would buy a set of Lee carbide dies (comes with shell holder) and TWO of their cheapie open faced presses. You can find used ones for ten bucks. You also must have a powder scale. You can also find these cheap because people THINK they're easier/more accurate than the electric ones.

I would make scoops from .22 Short and LR cases and a bent paper clip soldered or epoxied together. Once you've determined the optimum charge you file them down until they throw the exact amount.

The first powder I would try would be AA#2 since it throws such uniform small charges.
Leon

Post by Leon »

I use the Hornady Lock N Load AP press for reloading 9 different pistol calibres - from .32S&W Long to .45 Long Colt.

I cannot praise this press highly enough - calibre changes can be done in seconds - and you can switch from large to small primers and vice versa at a speed that Dillon owners can only dream of. It is a very solid press and well-engineered. I like it better than the Dillons I used to have.

If you do go the Hornady route, make sure you order the pistol micrometer as well - so you will able to throw small charges for the .32

If you don't reload a lot of rounds, another press that I can recommend is the Lee Classic Turret Press. I use one for load development before switching to volume production to one of the two Hornady LNLs that I have...
schatzperson

Reloading help

Post by schatzperson »

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Living out here in the middle of smallville, its not easy to get first hand experience; Lots of guys here are into reloading but usually for the more "usual" pistol calibers; The problem is that anything not on shop shelves has to be travel a loooong way and turns out expensive.

There is this mailorder dealer offering me a Hornady Lock N Load with a 32 die set either Harnady Ti nitride or RCBS Carbide. I will probably go for RCBS.

The next issue is powder consistency for the tiny .32 powder charges:
I have a very accurate laboratory electronic scale and was in fact thinking of making up my own powder scoops.
I am not sure what Leon is refering to as "pistol micrometer" ?
Is this a micro screw device for Hornady dies only ?
buonvento

Post by buonvento »

The micrometer screw is for the powder measure. I use it on my Uniflow, it works very well. I don't think that a laboratory electronic scale could be useful.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

My only input: Don't overdo it. It's only 25m, and only .32 S&W. This is not 1000 yard benchrest shooting, and not quantum physics. I'm pushing close to 1'000 rounds per hour out of my Dillon 650, resulting in very good ammo, shooting very nice groups. I get good, consistent charges down to 1.0grs out of a almost stock Dillon powder unit. Bullet handling (see my posts about the cylindrical expander) seems to be the next most important point. Time spent on the range is more useful than time spent tinkering around the reloading press, IMHO.
Leon

Post by Leon »

I'm referring to this -
"Pistol Micrometer Metering Insert No. 050129 $35.72
which does this - Micrometer Inserts - For extremely precise measurements,
the Micrometer Inserts allow the user to make and monitor incremental changes and return to previous settings."

Don't bother with the Hornady Nitride Dies - I have those and am completely unimpressed. I've since switched to Redding -t he pick of all the carbide dies - head and shoulders above the rest. Also, there is nothing wrong with Lee Carbide dies as well.

Agree with Tycho - don't overcook it. If you are new to reloading, seriously consider getting the Lee Classic Cast turret press. Calibre changes are a snap, and the accuracy and ease of use of the Lee Auto-Disk powder is beyond reproach.
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I loaded 312 S&WL, 38 Spec, 9mm 40 S&W, 45 ACP on my Dillon 550. Loading the 32 S&WL on the dillon 550 required the purchase of the extra small powder slide - i used 1.5gr. WST with the 98 gr. Speer WC a load ecommended by the late Don Nygord.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I made my own powder slide bar from teflon, and drilled the appropriate size hole to throw 1.2 grs. of VV n310, for an exceptionally light, and accurate load through my [then] Manuhrin MR73. The synthetic slide bar worked a treat.
schatzperson

Reloading help

Post by schatzperson »

Thank you all for your help.
I am heeding the advice of keeping things simple and not going nuts over too much detail.
Mailordering a basic press and dies first and will take it frrom there.
The one thing I am a bit wary of is sizing the case aqeduately.
When I get to it I might try a cylindrical expander.

Available components are once fired Fiocchi brass, Federal and ICI primers and most of Vitavuori powders ( N310 , 320 etc).
I might have to order bulets from H&N or Lapua;
But first I will slug my FAS 603;
Pistol seems to be doing well with Fiocchi 100 gr.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

If you're using Fiocchi brass, make sure to check them before every reload. I've had Fiocchi cases cracking radially, which is really ugly, as the front part slides into the barrel... Lost a FAS 603 that way. Nowadays I'm sorting them out, using mixed Lapua / Geco / Hirtenberger for reloading.
schatzperson

Reloading help

Post by schatzperson »

Thank you Tycho,
Unfortunately all I could find in these nether parts is Fiocchi brass.
Might mail order a different make though, possibly Lapua or Geco.