Improving trigger technique

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Environs

Improving trigger technique

Post by Environs »

Does anyone have any good coaching advise for improving triggering technique? Practice drills etc?

Your help appreciated.
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

Practice is the main thing so long as your doing things right to begin with. The hand eye coordination is all about repetition and getting to the point where you don't even think about the trigger it just happens. Idealy you want to be perfect when you break the shot so training your hand and eye to work without thought just when the eye sees the site picture it knows is perfect the finger just does its thing and breaks the shot.

One good practice drill is to dry fire and hold the sight picture so that the trigger breaks by surprise. Just hold in the target as best you can while easing on the trigger. The more your hold moves the more dependant on timing you will be. When you can hold like a granite rest the less timing comes into play.

Bo
guidolastra

Post by guidolastra »

Bowman26 wrote:Practice is the main thing...One good practice drill is to dry fire and hold the sight picture so that the trigger breaks by surprise. Just hold in the target as best you can while easing on the trigger. The more your hold moves the more dependant on timing you will be. When you can hold like a granite rest the less timing comes into play.

Bo
I am currently trying this method in the standing position (air rifle 10 meters), and it indeed works!
Fliers have almost disappeared (unless I "overhold" and end up gasping for air).
Still, not all goes into the X... but the technique of the shots looks better on the scatt, and the groups are "rounder"
I would also recommend a thorough follow through and focussing on the movement of the front sight while the is devleopping. $0.002...
robf

Post by robf »

is trigger control the problem, or is it trying to make up for something weaker earlier in the firing cycle...? Not such a good use of time to practice trigger if the position is weak and causing a knock-on effect.
Westy

Post by Westy »

robf wrote:is trigger control the problem, or is it trying to make up for something weaker earlier in the firing cycle...? Not such a good use of time to practice trigger if the position is weak and causing a knock-on effect.
True if there are bigger problems they need to be addressed first. However in saying that trigger release is something that can be worked on relatively easily.

In all positions it is important to have a good trigger technique. But I think it is especially important in the standing position. Once you are relatively stable and the target is in the middle the shot must go off immediately.

Dry firing I feel is especially effective. As there is no recoil you can quickly establish if your trigger release is disturbing the gun from its natural point of aim.

If I am working on my trigger release I will consciously think about it. After enough repetitions your trigger finger will develop a memory.

When I use my air gun before I start shooting I will dry fire to ensure that my hand position is correct and that the trigger breaks with the end of my finger at 90 degrees. From that point onward I know that my trigger finger is in the correct position as I load with my left hand (I shoot right handed) so unless I put the gun down my trigger hand does not leave the pistol grip.

Once you have your pistol grip and trigger shoe set up so that the trigger release does not disturb the rifle (you may need to modify the profile of the grip) I would suggest just sitting down and repeatedly work the trigger until it breaks. Once that is sorted bring the target back into the mix and train yourself to break the trigger once the balance point has been reached with the target in the middle.

Off course don't forget your follow through, but you can see how all the factors leading to the shot release are related.
Environs

Post by Environs »

Thanks Westy & others.
I have training techniques for other aspects of shooting technique (just prone for me) It was trigger release that I lacked ways of checking and/or training to improve.

Happy shooting.
2650 Plus

Trigger control

Post by 2650 Plus »

I began by telling my trigger finger to move when my concentration is completly involved in perfecting sight allignment. That only occurs when the hold is satisfactory and I have achieved npa [with the bull centered in the front sight] and my finger moves without me being conciously aware of the movement.This is really a visulation of how the finger feels when it is moving corectly. Also this takes several months training before it becomes reliable enough for competition, Good Shooting Bill Horton