That felt good, its a ten!

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

paulo

That felt good, its a ten!

Post by paulo »

I often know when I hit a ten in free pistol, just from how easy and natural it felt.
My problem is to achieve that result all the time.
I believe most people can innumerate all the variables that cause a theoretical ten, but how do you train to achieve that simultaneity moment when all comes together and feels easy, and then to do it in a replicable way.
Maybe this is not my sport.
2650 Plus

600 X 60

Post by 2650 Plus »

Paulo, this is always the goal but you must remember that no one has accomplished the 600 yet. Maybe it will be you. As one of our Presedents is quoted as speaking to a Chief of the Cherokee indian tribe." You must endover to preservier " Not bad advise to any pistol shooter.Nothing is easy about controling all the element that contribute to the perfect shot but , If you can shoot one , how about two? Hang in there Paulo, you may be the one Good Shooting Bill Horton
justadude

Post by justadude »

OK I am a rifle shooter here but our objectives are the same, to coax a firearm to to launch a tiny lead slug through the center of a black circle some measured distance away.

I am going to paraphrase Lanny Bassham, if you worry about shooting nines you will shoot nines. If you think about shooting tens, you will shoot tens.

You say you know it when you shoot a ten, OK stop and reflect for a moment, what did that feel like? The more you think about, talk about and write about what it feels like to shoot that ten the greater your chances of doing again. (I am also channeling Lanny there when I say that.)

While I don't really do formal competition anymore I do like to go out to my local range and put myself through the paces. I was shooting a 60 shot prone match, it looked like I was on pace to shoot mid 580s. During a target change, a junior and his father had been watching and asked how I could shoot so consistently. First, I take very good care of my rifle and second I told them "because I expect to". Sometimes it is a simple as mental attitude.

Yeah, sometimes a shot gets away but I don't get bent up about the one that is gone. I check to make sure I didn't miss a wind shift, reload and fully expect that next shot to be a 10.

Positve attitude and good luck!!

Cheers,
'Dude
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

A bit short, but to the point method:

Remember well what those tens look like. When you don't see that, put the gun down and start again.

Someone mentioned that a 600 hadn't happened in pistol yet (rifle guy here). The 600 mark in rifle was a mental barrier more then anything. If you think it's impossible, it will be. Only when you believe it to be possible will it be so.
Ed Hall

Re: That felt good, its a ten!

Post by Ed Hall »

paulo wrote:. . . I believe most people can innumerate all the variables that cause a theoretical ten, but how do you train to achieve that simultaneity moment when all comes together and feels easy, and then to do it in a replicable way. . .
. . .by listing those things in a shot plan, and using that shot plan to execute each shot. If you want identical results, perform identical steps. . .

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things