2010 4-H Nationals Results

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

blg

Post by blg »

For some reason I can't open the results. I have this problem with everything on the state page, may be something on my computer not sure. So who won Nationals?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

blg wrote:For some reason I can't open the results. I have this problem with everything on the state page, may be something on my computer not sure. So who won Nationals?
Try this link:
http://shootingsports.tamu.edu/National%20Games.html

Looks to me like Missouri finally beat Texas

Another question to anyone there .... what happened to the SD shooters?
From what I know of the team, one of their best 3-P shooters did not shoot the 3-P portion? (K.E.)
blg

Post by blg »

When I click on that link, it goes to the page listing all the results, but when I click on the individual link it just goes blank. ?. It does that on all the Texas Shooting Sports Links. Anyway, you answered my questions, Congratulations to Missouri on their win
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

blg wrote:When I click on that link, it goes to the page listing all the results, but when I click on the individual link it just goes blank. ?.
Do you have a PDF viewer installed? The links are PDF files ..... worst case Rt-click & save-as to save the files on your machine .... my suggestion do the "Award Packet" at the top do get them all in a single PDF file

Joel
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

I heard that CMP pulled out of the 3P Air Rifle event due to block time bein used instead of the usual 30/40/30 minutes.

Can anybody confirm this?
blg

Post by blg »

Thanks JHMartin that worked. And I see what you mean about the points.
mousehunter

Post by mousehunter »

My humble understanding (via instructor training) is that there may be a fundamental difference of opinion in the mission of 4H shooting sports. I know many coaches that appear to feel it is about competitive shooting, while I highly suspect that Dr. Howard and other coaches feel it is more about safely using shooting to develop life skills. I also feel it is an excellent opportunity to spend quality time with my children, their friends and parents.

I have witnessed many terrible sporting events, where winning was everything and incredibly bad sportsmanship was the norm (from kids events, to Olympic qualifiers). While I have not been on every line at the Texas State games, (with almost no exceptions) the youth have been safe, helpful, well mannered, and having fun. I can give think of no higher compliment to the youth, coaches or organizers.

Two years ago, my daughter’s favorite event was Dr. Howard's. He transformed a test to be feared into an incredibly interesting (abet graded) class on Animal ID. Last year my daughter was injured at the State games (attacked by a spectator’s dog - my daughter startled it). Again I can only say I have the highest compliments on how Jenny and the staff assisted us. They gently helped calm and clean up a scared girl, she was back on the line 2 hours latter.
----
Sorry that this post is not on topic. I do not know the specifics of anything that happened at Nationals (I am sure I will hear plenty about it over the next 3 weeks), but did want to express my observations related to negative comments in previous posts.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

mousehunter wrote:My humble understanding (via instructor training) is that there may be a fundamental difference of opinion in the mission of 4H shooting sports. I know many coaches that appear to feel it is about competitive shooting, while I highly suspect that Dr. Howard and other coaches feel it is more about safely using shooting to develop life skills. I also feel it is an excellent opportunity to spend quality time with my children, their friends and parents.
Mouse .... In this Dr. Howard and I agree. Thru the teaching, repetition, and competing my objective is the "sport for life" goal that we have in the program.
I feel that Dr. Howard & I have a good relationship, and in terms of how the scoring is done we have a disagreement. He feels strongly in his way, and me in mine. Texas scores their events in one way, I score mine in another ... when we decide to go to Nationals, we accept what the National committee has decided ... They have done it both ways.

I have a competitive spirit. I try and teach that too. I also realize that there are some (shooters & parents) that can take that spirit too far. Hopefully, those that come into contact with me, and more importantly my shooters, come away with only the best thoughts & memories.
cdsiitx

cmp leaving 4-h event

Post by cdsiitx »

SRichieR wrote:I heard that CMP pulled out of the 3P Air Rifle event due to block time bein used instead of the usual 30/40/30 minutes.

Can anybody confirm this?
It is my understanding that CMP pulled out because the "rules" were not being followed specifically how triggers were being weighed for the sporter and precision rifles. Evidently there were some safety issues too.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

(edited for contacts info below)
The National 3-Position Air Rifle Council has given the CMP instructions which are to "withdraw sanctioning for this competition pending further investigation."

I fully agree with this decision as it was supposed to be a 50% EIC match run according to N3PARC rules which were not followed. I feel terrible for the shooters here as this decision effects fully half of those that went to the match and will most probably be denied EIC points, thus delaying, and possibly denying, their earning their Distinguished Badges.

I would suggest any coach and/or shooter who is effected by this decision to write and protest this match, not only to the CMP, but to the 4-H National council as well and complain about the way Texas decided to conduct this match with ad-hoc rules after they (Texas) assured the national committee that they would follow all NGB rules in all events. That is a condition for them being awarded the hosting of the National 4-H Shooting Sports Championships.

Contact for CMP:
Katie Harrington - kharrington at odcmp dot com

Contacts on the National 4-H committee:
Gerald Snapp - snapp at gobrainstorm dot net
Conrad Arnold - carnold at umd dot edu

If I had a team there, as a minimum, I would be demanding my entry fees to be returned.
silentfury214

Post by silentfury214 »

srichier, i was competing in this competition, and yes they did use block time.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi, color me stupid, but what's block time?

That being said, all of our coaches (and we have had about 10 over the years) haven't found the CMP rules all that tough to understand and follow...

Mike
Wichita KS
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

1) Hang all the targets for all positions
2) ready, set, go .... shoot 'em up kids, ya got 90 minutes
found the CMP rules all that tough to understand and follow...
Ummmm .... Ummmmm ... what can we say?
hint: What is normally the very 1st project that a youth will do in 4-H?
cmj

Post by cmj »

block time is where you have a set amount of time to fire the complete match. As soon as you finish one position you can go to the next posititon. In the case of this match they were allowed 90 minutes to fire the complete match. The CMP rule book states that each stage (position) position will be timed seperately and a 5 minute change over period between positions. 30 minutes for prone which includes a sight in time, 40 minutes for standing, and 30 minutes for kneeling. That adds up to 100 minutes, plus the 2 -5 minute change over periods for a total of 110 minutes So end result is competitors not given eneough time, and were not prepared to shoot the match with block time and most probably had no idea what was going on. As of today no reason has been put forth as to why only one prone target was counted, both were shot and at least one person that shot the match still does not know why both her targets were not counted.