Revolver for CF. S&W 10-8

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Eaglemitch

Post by Eaglemitch »

Group,
I need some advice. I came across a S&W Model 10-8 in Stainless Steel. I has a aftermarket full lug slab sided 6" barrel, the barrel is marked "Armorer-Laramie". It has a Full Rib Wichita Sight on it. The trigger pull is excellent in both Double and Single Action. It has an aftermarket rubber grip on it and the whole gun is in very good condition. Could I throw a Randall Fung grip on it and have a great shooter? What is the value of such a piece?
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

Sounds like it was a gun built for PPC. Weigh it first to see if it makes the weight restriction for ISSF, doesn't matter for NRA but you might want to do a lot of pumping iron to be able to comfortably handle it.
Dr Jim
26650 Plus

Thumb Busters

Post by 26650 Plus »

There are several top NRA three gun shooters using revolvers but thje vast majority shoot the self loading automatics. This has resulted in the thumb decoming essentially obsolete as it is no longer needed to cockthe pistol. The revolver is easier to dry fire and simulate a sustained fire string and a lot of fun to practice with , however can anyone remember any ISSF competition being won by a revolver shooter ? Good Shooting Bill Horton
2650 Plus

Sorry about the extra 6.

Post by 2650 Plus »

I must have flinched on that 6 key. Good Shooting Bill Horton
JamesH

Re: Thumb Busters

Post by JamesH »

26650 Plus wrote:There are several top NRA three gun shooters using revolvers but thje vast majority shoot the self loading automatics. This has resulted in the thumb decoming essentially obsolete as it is no longer needed to cockthe pistol. The revolver is easier to dry fire and simulate a sustained fire string and a lot of fun to practice with , however can anyone remember any ISSF competition being won by a revolver shooter ? Good Shooting Bill Horton
Australian national champs are regularly won with revolvers shooting 570-580+ in ISSF centrefire.

I won the South Australian championship with a revolver :)
2650 Plus

Revolvers

Post by 2650 Plus »

Congratulations SteveH on your win with one of the nost difficule pistols to master. Your achievement is monumental and is a testiment to your many hours training and skill , Never the less I still contend that the thumb is obsolete with the advent of superior technoligy in the modern self loaders. [This may be akin to telling the world champion that if he would just chang his grip he would shoot higher scores] Good Shooting Steve Bill Horton
Spencer

Re: Revolvers

Post by Spencer »

2650 Plus wrote:...(revolver) one of the most difficult pistols to master...
An interesting POV, but having used both revolvers and semi-autos over most of the pistol events around I do not agree that revolvers are more difficult in the ISSF CF events.
In non-ISSF events where fast series apply (Action, IPSC, etc.) the semi-auto can have an advantage.

For ISSF CF the revolvers give nothing away for Precision Stage, and in the RF Stage there is more than enough time to follow-through, cock the pistol with the other hand, acquire the sights on the target and then come to the Ready for the next shot.

Considered passe? Agreed.
Have to cock for each shot? Agreed
A slightly different technique for the RF Stage? Agreed.
'Difficult to master'? Not that I have noticed.

(ps. I started in 'pistol' with semi-autos)
Last edited by Spencer on Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
David M

Post by David M »

At least on the revolver the case catcher works......
All jokes aside a good .38 revolver will out precision a .32 auto, the auto is a little easier to shoot in the rapid fire stage, there are a lot less malfunctions with a revolver, bottom line is the shooter.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

For ISSF Centrefire very few people thumbcock.

For the rapid stage I find it less tiring to relax the elbow, take the weight on the free hand while cocking and recommence.

An obvious plus is loads can be optimised for accuracy without worrying about cycling an action.

Not that I'm top of the tree by any means....
schatzperson

Post by schatzperson »

For what its worth my limited view :
Having shot both 32 Auto (FAS) and a S&W M14, special Single Action in 38, I found that the autopistol far more forgiving of bad technique.

I came away with two distinct impressions after shooting this particular revolver:
1) It does not point naturally.
2) Not forgiving; The high boreline and short second finger second joint-web of the hand, distance is too short and leaves the trigger finger hanging on at an awkward angle and distance. Seemed to me that its difficult to isolate 2nd and 3rd finger pressure and trigger finger.

I suspect that there are some highly insiduous forces and dynamics at work, the instant the the trigger starts moving throughout, ignition and dwell time.
All these itty bitty devils can work for or against your efforts.
Besides, lock time and forces on the revolver seem much greater in the firecontrol dept.
Eaglemitch

Re: Revolver for CF. S&W 10-8

Post by Eaglemitch »

I can get this revolver for well under $600 US. Good deal?
schatzperson wrote:For what its worth my limited view :
Having shot both 32 Auto (FAS) and a S&W M14, special Single Action in 38, I found that the autopistol far more forgiving of bad technique.

I came away with two distinct impressions after shooting this particular revolver:
1) It does not point naturally.
2) Not forgiving; The high boreline and short second finger second joint-web of the hand, distance is too short and leaves the trigger finger hanging on at an awkward angle and distance. Seemed to me that its difficult to isolate 2nd and 3rd finger pressure and trigger finger.

I suspect that there are some highly insiduous forces and dynamics at work, the instant the the trigger starts moving throughout, ignition and dwell time.
All these itty bitty devils can work for or against your efforts.
Besides, lock time and forces on the revolver seem much greater in the firecontrol dept.
David Levene

Re: Revolver for CF. S&W 10-8

Post by David Levene »

Eaglemitch wrote:I can get this revolver for well under $600 US. Good deal?
It really depends what you want to do with it and whether it has been modified to suit.

A gun modified to shoot one style of shooting, e.g. IPSC, will not necessarilly be totally suitable for another, e.g. ISSF.
2650 Plus

Relvolvers

Post by 2650 Plus »

Consider that each shot is fired from a diffent cylinder, That may or may not allign with the forcing cone of the barrel and that the bullet must jump fron the cylinder and enter the barrel with a loss of pressure and often shave led as the entry occurs makes me suspicious of the revolvers capablility to compete at the top levels of our sport. And that is just my opion. Good Shooting Bill Horton
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

With a quality revolver thats not an issue, with a Toz36 or Toz49 it can't be an issue - since the case enters the barrel.