Is there something wrong with my AP ??

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
compscotty

Is there something wrong with my AP ??

Post by compscotty »

Attached is a pic of a B-40 target with strange holes in it. Usually i get 3 circles but these are becoming more common. What's going on?

scott
las vegas, nv
Attachments
IMG_0146.jpg
IMG_0146.jpg (32.02 KiB) Viewed 4472 times
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

Low velocity.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

1 - low velocity (even Edelmann targets will tear when the pellet velocity is low <320fps?), and or
2 - target quality
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

Either you switched paper, or your airgun is lost some velocity. Same pellets as usual?

So what gun? Do you have access to a chronometer?
johnrobinson

Post by johnrobinson »

do you have a dehumidifier in the range? perhaps the targets are soaking up humidity?
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

1- Are you using wadcutter pellets?
2- Seals may be defective on the gun?

What gun are you using?

Kevho.
Airgun aficionado from Costa Rica, C.A.
compscotty

Post by compscotty »

using LP10E with wadcutter pellets ...high quality ones from ChampChoice...

i will try putting some silicone grease on top of the o-rings ...
RB6

Post by RB6 »

I agree , too slow .............

Xman

Post by Xman »

when you say "hi quality" did you mean the targets?? From the example you provided you have the possible issues.

Your losing air giving you a slower pellet

Your paper target is an NRA B-40 paper target either by American Target or National target. It could be a Speedwell too but unlikely. The paper type targets will rip like that with ANY drop off of speed to under 350fps. The NRA targets, even with perfect PCPs can give you odd holes/tears. Groups can be impossible to score too.
compscotty

Post by compscotty »

why am i getting low velocity pellets?
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

compscotty:

You should try other brands of targets and see if they will do better.

Also, the LP10E should shoot above 500 fps when using pellets that weigh
between 7.0 and 7.5 grains.

I don't see any reason why it is not punching out perfect holes...

Do you see anybody else on the range having the same problem as you are?

Kevho
Airgun aficionado from Costa Rica, C.A.
Makris D. G.

Post by Makris D. G. »

Bad quality targets is my opinion. From the photo this is not an Edelmann or Krueger target. High quality targets even in low velocity have flakes break off not long tears like this.
compscotty

Post by compscotty »

the targets are from National Target Co...i have no chronograph...my lp10e is brand new right out of the box...i practice by myself as there is no one in my town that does AP...

scott
las vegas, nv
Rover

Post by Rover »

National is about the worst AP target next to Beeman. Put a used target behind a new one and see if the hole is cleaner. It's probably not your gun.

Also, come on down to Phoenix and shoot some International. Do a search for the Phoenix Rod & Gun Club, then pistol division.
joker

Post by joker »

compscotty wrote:the targets are from National Target Co...i have no chronograph...my lp10e is brand new right out of the box...i practice by myself as there is no one in my town that does AP...

scott
las vegas, nv
Kruger targets are probably the very best available - your LP10 will be perfect if straight out of the box, new, and from an official distributor.
luftskytter-

Post by luftskytter- »

If no other help is available: poor man's chrono:
Shoot through some soft foam or keep the muzzle snug to the surface to avoid richochets: don't shoot your eye out!

Some practical tests will give a rough indication of speed.
If you shoot at a piece of solid pine board, a typical wadcutter should be completely embedded in the wood. Even my Izzy which shoots about 450 fps is just about able to do this. Your LP10 should do around 525 fps.

If you shoot at a solid surface like rock or thick steel, the pellet should be totally flattened. My MG1E does this pretty perfectly: while the Izzy leaves a slight "core" or bump in the middle of the flattened lead wafer.

My MG1E shoots around 560 fps and will blast through the lid of a pellet box with ease. The Izzy merely makes a deep bump in the lid without tearing the metal.

You will find many such tests around the Net, some with photographs to illustrate the "calibration" of various poor man's chronos.

These may give oyou an idea of how your gun is performing.
But a real chrono is very nice to have.
A good gun shop should be able to test your LP10E.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I used to get that sort of tear all the time with cheap American targets. I strongly suspect his pistol is fine. The only way to tell for sure is to chronograph the pistol and/or try some quality targets.

Las Vegas should be dry enough that humidity is unlikely to be the culprit.
Rover

Post by Rover »

You would think that humidity would be a big factor, but I've used National targets that have baked for years here in the driest climate in the country and would tear even with the higher powered guns.

As I said, try doubling up on the targets since they "bow" when hit by a pellet, sucking up the energy that should be used to penetrate them.
compscotty

Post by compscotty »

I think i got it figured out. I've raised my pellet trap up higher so i am not shooting down like i was. I'm no longer getting those weird shaped holes.

scott
las vegas, nv