what bullets

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

TEN DOT

what bullets

Post by TEN DOT »

I just got a 1903 Anschutz a few days ago and was wondering if there were any type of bullets that I shouldn't shoot out of it such as copper, coated, or high velocity etc.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

Standard velocity match ammo.
I shoot SK Standard Plus.
matt
ZD

reply to ammo

Post by ZD »

I agree with the person above. Would definitively recommend SK standard plus. I shoot it for practice and often for matches, and in my opinion it is the best ammo for the price, and very accurate. While certainly not eley tenex or R-50, I have shot plenty of groups that hold the ten ring. However, if you are shooting in the mid to high 400's and the low 500's . I would recommend using cheaper ammo at least for practice until you get better (such as Eley Sport). While eley sport is not great, there may be no use shooting better ammo until you can shoot better. If you are shooting higher than the scores I have listed, please disregard the above statements about cheaper ammo. And again, SK standard plus is great.
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

I do not dissagree with the above posts but would like to add a comment. I believe that even practise ammo must be good enough in your rifle so that when you shoot a perfect shot the bullet hole should be in the ten ring. This feed back is necessary to confirm that the technique you are using is essentially correct and can be repeated with the same results over and over. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Guest_66

Post by Guest_66 »

Go for standard velocity (lead bullet only).

I also agree with Bill, if your practice ammo creates to many wild flyers you will never know if it was you, the rifle or anything else that caused it.
You should be able to read the shot, and if it is a perfect execution, it should be (some kind of) a 10.

Of course you can use whatever ammo just for training trigger technique etc, but not for shooting results.

By the way - the SK Standard Plus is the very same as the SK Magazine (the canned ammo). Just different packaging - and some more lube in the can :)
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

i just ordered 100 rounds of 5 different lots of SK Standard plus. Whichever shoots the best i am going to buy a case of. SK shoots really well and for the price you cant beat it. I weigh all my SK and cull it into .1grn lots. It takes time but you can mental train while doing it. Thats what i do and it gives me extra confidence when i go to the line with the ammo. With SK i shoot an average of about 195 on the 4 bull ISSF target.
matt
TEN DOT

Post by TEN DOT »

I have some Remington High velocity golden bullets. They say that they are plated round nose bullets. Is this type of ammo going to hurt the gun in any way.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

i dont think it will. but it will not shoot well. expect to see groups well over an inch at 50 yards
matt
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Plated bullets at High Velocity will coat the bbl with that plating and make it more difficult to clean.

Stick with lead (no plating) standard velocity bullets .... yeah they are more expensive, but that is what your gun is built for.

If you are looking for some inexpensive ... look at the Eley Sport ... they are OK and about $3.00/box I guess.

Recommend the STD Plus at less than $5/box

You might be able to find standard velocity loads at some of the higher end sporting goods stores in your area, but the Wallyworlds will most probably only have HV loads.

Using plated HV loads in your gun is akin to taking a Ferrari mudbogging. (my $0.02)
coolcruiser

weight variation

Post by coolcruiser »

WG, please comment on your weighing of bullets. What kind of variation are you seeing? What is the typical spread of a 50 round box? I shoot Wolf MT at 100 yard matches and occasionally suffer with an odd shot that sounds different and usually drops out the bottom costing me points. I wonder if the SK std+ might be better. I figure $50/brick is about in my price range for this kind of shooting. I can still clean the target at 100Y with the Wolf if I do my part but these bloopers are costing me points. any thoughts? Thanx
WesternGrizzly wrote:i just ordered 100 rounds of 5 different lots of SK Standard plus. Whichever shoots the best i am going to buy a case of. SK shoots really well and for the price you cant beat it. I weigh all my SK and cull it into .1grn lots. It takes time but you can mental train while doing it. Thats what i do and it gives me extra confidence when i go to the line with the ammo. With SK i shoot an average of about 195 on the 4 bull ISSF target.
matt
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

first of all wolf is the same as SK. It is made in the same plant on the same machines by the same company (Lapua).
Sk is sorta infamous because of its habit of dropping rounds. Thats one of the reasons why i started weighing. now that being said i shot a 400-27 in the dewer course at the Western wildcats.

The kind of fluctuation in weight is fairly high. it would range anywhere from 50.8grns all the way to 52.4. the average was in the 51.6-51.7 range. Sorting the ammo by weight really isnt that bad. It is WAY better than trimming brass.
matt
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

first of all wolf is the same as SK. It is made in the same plant on the same machines by the same company (Lapua).
Sk is sorta infamous because of its habit of dropping rounds. Thats one of the reasons why i started weighing. now that being said i shot a 400-27 in the dewer course at the Western wildcats.

The kind of fluctuation in weight is fairly high. it would range anywhere from 50.8grns all the way to 52.4. the average was in the 51.6-51.7 range. Sorting the ammo by weight really isnt that bad. It is WAY better than trimming brass.
matt
coolcruiser

weight variation cause?

Post by coolcruiser »

Please address the cause of the weight variation. I suspect that it is the powder charge that causes the worst case of velocity change= bullet drop. The bullet is 40 grains and it is likely to be "forged" in a die, which is fairly precise. The brass is formed in a similar fashion by stamping, also fairly precise, so that leaves the primer...in the past a cause for concern due to imprecise application of the primer in location and quantity. Finally we are left to comment on the assembly of the components. Modern assembly being what it is, this is unlikely to be a cause for variation (within a lot)...any thoughts?
WesternGrizzly wrote:first of all wolf is the same as SK. It is made in the same plant on the same machines by the same company (Lapua).

matt
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

i think it is a combination of all the factors that you said.
matt