Duelling

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
schatzperson

Duelling

Post by schatzperson »

Is there a last word regarding where to hold in the RF half of CF ?
I am just starting out and using a S&W Model 14 whose sights disappear in the black of an RF target.
I use a 6'0clock hold for the slow part and I am finding difficulty making out the front sight vertical alignment if I aim in the black of the rapid target.
I am even thinking of raising the rearsight and go for a 6 hold for RF as well, but dont know if the sights will accomodate this.
I might try this with a FAS and see if I can do it with this pistol.
You suggestions wellcome. Thanks !
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Do not know if something has changed for the 25m target lighting at the Sydney Olympics range, but many of us are experiencing this problem on the RF target lately.

You could try an old technique of not having a hold area for the RF Stage - instead let the shot off 'on the rise' as the aligned sights pass the bottom edge of the target. A number of shooters get 290+ with this technique - even an old has-been like me with no training regime can pull off an occasional 280+

PROVIDED your follow through includes a steady continuation of rising the pistol and you are aiming sub-6 on the precision target your impact point on the RF target should be somewhere close to the 10-ring (requiring minimal additional sight elevation change).
RB6

Post by RB6 »

Latest generation rapid targets have a horizontal white line 5mm wide , 125 long starting at the 7 ring out to the edge of the 5 ring . I believe this line was added to assist shooters who wish to hold center

2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

I have shot many 300 s on the duel target by starting the pressure on the trigger as the rise reaches the seven ring. I stop in the center ot the target and wait for the pistol to fire. The firing takes no more than one and one half second to occur. I would suggest more perfect focus on the front sight and much less concern about hold as the ten ring is quite generous. Relax and enjoy shooting tens. Good Shooting Bill Horton
schatzperson

Duelling

Post by schatzperson »

Ok, so if I understand correctly Spencer's "on the rise" would require minimum rear sight adjustment and Bill Horton's stopping at the centre requires you to mantain alignment on the black and that is exactly where my problem seems to be.
I appear to have inconstant vertical alignment and its causing stringing in that axis.
Am I "over enginering" a nonexistant problem if I simply click up the rear sight and go for a regular sub 6 hold on the RF half as well ?

May I add I am just starting CF, my usuall slow fire is about 85 but I have shot the occassional 90; However rapid throws the mother of all shafts in my spokes. Ok Ok, I am still learning the 3-7 S rythm, but not having a hold area seals my fate.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

I agree about SISC Spencer.

Shooting at night there is getting worse.
David Levene

Re: Duelling

Post by David Levene »

schatzperson wrote:May I add I am just starting CF, my usuall slow fire is about 85 but I have shot the occassional 90; However rapid throws the mother of all shafts in my spokes. Ok Ok, I am still learning the 3-7 S rythm, but not having a hold area seals my fate.
How happy are you with the concept of area aiming for precision (as opposed to trying to hold the gun still and aim at a point).

If you area aim for the precision target, remember that the area of the 10 ring (excluding the additional bullet diameter for gauging) on the rapid target is four times the size.

Just carry on with your area aiming, even if it is now black on dark grey, knowing that a smooth shot release will give you a good score.
schatzperson

Duelling

Post by schatzperson »

David,
I am ok with area aiming while waiting for the shot.
My problem is that I ( or my mind) have trouble with sight alignment while on the black.
Sight alignment fundumentals are so ingrained in my brain that any lack of information feedback in this area, throws me off.

Might try to wind up my FAS ..er... 18 clicks and just do in rapid what I do during slow, only speeded up.

PS, Dont think my Model 14 can take this much vertical shift.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

schatzperson wrote:Might try to wind up my FAS ..er... 18 clicks and just do in rapid what I do during slow, only speeded up.
I presume that means area aiming below the black on the rapid target. I would be wary of doing that. Even on the best ISSF ranges the colour/background in that area can vary considerably.
schatzperson

Duelling

Post by schatzperson »

Hmm yes David, I see what you mean... almost no white paper and variable background/contrast.
Perhaps one has to develop a certain feel for alignment while on the black;
In my case it could very well be a case of trusting in the "force".
I guess my general approach is too technical and have less faith in black magic.
I suppose that a good measure of life is really mystical after all !
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

schatzperson wrote:Perhaps one has to develop a certain feel for alignment while on the black;
In my case it could very well be a case of trusting in the "force".
I guess my general approach is too technical and have less faith in black magic.
IMHO the most important technical aspect (especially) of shooting the rapid stage is a smooth positive trigger release.

Mis-aligned sights might cost you a point (or two). A snatched trigger can cost you a lot more.
schatzperson

Duelling

Post by schatzperson »

Food for thought.
Thanks for the tip David !