Inferior pellet,can such a creature damge an air pistol?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Dev

Inferior pellet,can such a creature damge an air pistol?

Post by Dev »

Whenever we use locally made pellets, since they are cheap and if one wants to put several hundred downrange then the only option.
Even though some of the new ones are a hundred percent lead, some experienced shooter will always say, don't use them. I want lay this debate to rest with the opinions from this board.
The cheap pellets cost three times less than what a box of Meisterkugeln would cost in the open market or any other market. They have non uniform skirts and heads and so far I have found one deformed pellet in thirty pellets to be the norm. The pistols we all use are the Morini and the Steyr. The coach says that it will lead the barrel. What is your experience/ opinion?

Regards,

Dev
Philadelphia

Re: Inferior pellet,can such a creature damge an air pistol?

Post by Philadelphia »

Dev wrote:The coach says that it will lead the barrel. What is your experience/ opinion?

Regards,

Dev
You mention these inexpensive pellets are pure lead. At 500fps, give or take (assuming target pistol), I don't think it's possible to lead a well made barrel.
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

My opinion - use the cheap lead pellets and if it leads your barrel you can de-lead your barrel. (take the barrel out of the frame). I doubt the cheap lead pellets will lead up your barrel as the velocity should be to low to cause this problem. The coating on the pellets my foul your barrel, but thats not hard to clean. Again revmove the barrel if its seriously fouled. You really want to avoid strong solvents anywhere near your APs seals or regulator.

If the cheap lead pellets ruin your barrel - determine how much a new barrel would cost and compare the savings you're making using them

Example:

Quality Pellets cost 100$ USA for 5000
Cheap Pellets cost 40$ USA for 5000

New Barrel for Mornin AP - 250$ aprox

shoot more than 20,000 pellets and you've saved enough for a new barrel and you're ahead. Minus the hassle of importing a new barrel.

My 2 cents

Brian
RB6

Post by RB6 »

My opinion is that quality brand name pellets are not cheap, they are properly formed to size dimension , the manufacturer likely uses virgin pure lead to get uniform weights etc. The cheaper pellet manufacturer has a lower quality control and may use salvaged lead that will have suspect impurities. In my Styer only the best goes down the barrel

"Nice fresh tasty oats come at a premium, oats that have been cycled through the horse come a little cheaper "

Dev

Cheap pellets

Post by Dev »

Thank you for the opinions gents. I will elaborate a little on what pellet prices are like. Normally even when we buy match pellets Meisterkuglen (don't know how to spell it) and what have you, it costs somewhere in the range of almost $10 per box of five hundred. Local pellets cost about $2 per box of 500. Can you see how high the difference is?
But since I don't spend on single malts and havana cigars I guess I can splurge on good pellets near a match. :-)

Warm Regards,

Dev
Anupam

Post by Anupam »

I have tried to give the Cheap Pellets a good wash with a detergent, followed by mild lubrication (putting a few drops of oil on a piece of cloth and gently 'rolling' over the pellets, a hundred or so at a time; in the hope of improving their accuracy and preventing fowling of the barrel, due to unwanted residues etc. etc.

Would this help in any way, or am I just wasting my time !!
David M

Post by David M »

A lot will depend on the quality and purity of the alloy that they are made from. Impurities in the lead is what will kill both your group and eventually your barrel.
Rover

Post by Rover »

The only "cheap" pellets I will use are the RWS Basic and Hobby. They are always excellent.

There ARE others equally good. I don't like the cheap Chinese pellets or Daisy for accuracy reasons, but even if they use recycled lead it has been smelted and is pure.

The Crosman are very nice; I shot my first 100 (on one target) with them many years ago.

And yes, I think you're wasting your time washing and oiling them. I have never seen a leaded air pistol barrel.
Dev

Cheap pellets

Post by Dev »

Okay i think I have the answer. Thank you for all the replies and the details that you have gone into. I suspected that the low velocity should prevent any serious leading, but I will clean the barrel after this box just to be safe.
Yes, yes I will use a bore snake type of pull thru.

Regards,

Dev
Rover

Post by Rover »

Don't bother with a pull through. If you have any leading, which I doubt, then you need a brass brush.